Two firefighters airlifted to hospital amid battle against wildfire

At least nine fire crews were dispatched to the scene in Cannich on Sunday, and a working to bring the blaze under control.

Two firefighters have been airlifted to hospital after they were injured battling a wildfire in the Highlands.

At least nine fire crews were dispatched to a farm in Cannich on Sunday afternoon, and have been working to bring the blaze under control since.

A helicopter was also sent in to waterbomb the blaze on Monday, and five crews now remain at the scene.

It is understood that two firefighters were flown to hospital at around 9.03am on Tuesday.

Forestry Land Scotland (FSL) said that the fire, which has been burning since last Tuesday, may have started due to wild camping.

Balintore Fire Station

In a similar incident in Tentsmuir Forest last Thursday, a wildfire was sparked by a campfire which needed helicopter assistance to extinguish.

It comes amid a warning of a very high risk of wildfires across east, central and southern parts of the country.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service has urged those who live, work or visit rural areas to exercise caution over the next few days.

Balintore Fire Station

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We received a call at 9.03am to attend an incident near Cannich, south of Inverness.

“Multiple resources were dispatched to the scene and two patients were transported to hospital.”

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 12.46pm on Sunday, May 28 to reports of a fire in the open at a farm near Cannich, Beauly.


“Operations Control initially mobilised one fire appliance, increasing to nine appliances including specialist resources.

“At 5.37pm on Monday, May 29 a helicopter was brought in to water bomb the wildfire.

“As of Tuesday, May 30 we currently have five appliances on the scene, where firefighters are continuing to extinguish the fire and prevent further fire spread.”

Posted in