Skye care home staff and residents retested for Covid-19

NHS Highland said move was a 'precaution' after a worker at Home Farm tested positive, having previously recovered.

Skye care home staff and residents retested for Covid-19 Google 2020

All staff and residents at a care home in Skye, where ten people died during an outbreak, will be retested for Covid-19.

NHS Highland confirmed the move was a “precaution” after a worker at Home Farm care home tested positive for coronavirus, having previously recovered from the disease.

The issue had been highlighted by local MP Ian Blackford who said the staff member had tested negative twice before the latest positive test.

The health board has been involved in the running of the home alongside private operator HC-One, following the outbreak in May.

A statement from NHS Highland on Tuesday said: “NHS Highland can confirm that a member of staff at Home Farm care home in Portree has re-tested positive for Covid-19.

“Evidence is emerging internationally about Covid-19 and it is now recognised that some people have prolonged positive swab results and others can have intermittent negative and positive results over many weeks.

“An ongoing positive result does not therefore mean they are still infectious or that they pose a risk to others. This is the most likely scenario here.

“Nonetheless and as a precaution this person has been advised to remain at home and in isolation.

“Their close contacts are being followed up by the contact tracing process and will be given the standard advice regarding isolation and effective hygiene.

“In addition and as a further precaution NHS Highland is in the process of retesting all staff and residents of the care home. We will inform all residents, staff and relatives of the results as soon as they are available.

“There are no other cases of confirmed Covid-19 infection in the local community or on the rest of Skye.”

Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland has been pursuing legal action against HC-One, operator of the Home Farm care home.

Another court hearing is due to take place on Wednesday.