Family’s plea for info on 23rd anniversary of son’s death

Kevin Mcleod's family are appealing for information 23 years on from his death.

A family have issued a passionate plea for information about the death of their son, on the 23rd anniversary of the tragedy.

Kevin Mcleod’s body was found in Wick Harbour two days after he disappeared on a Friday night out in his home town.

Merseyside Police were called in late last year to review the local force’s handling of the inquiry into his death.

In a fresh statement issued today, Mr Mcleod’s family said: “In 1997, Northern Constabulary were instructed to investigate Kevin’s death as murder.

“In 2017, Police Scotland finally apologised – and admitted that police had, indeed, received but failed to act on a procurator fiscal’s murder inquiry instruction.

“This admission came after years of denials by both Northern Constabulary and Police Scotland of ever having received any such instruction.”

It continues: “Someone, somewhere, knows who was responsible for Kevin’s death and the family would urge them to please come forward.”

Mr Mcleod’s family suggest that, in the years since Kevin’s death, people’s circumstances, allegiances and lifestyles may have changed.

“Our appeal today,” they say, “is for those people who know anything, saw anything, or heard anything at the time to please search your conscience and call or write to Merseyside Police – even if you contacted police previously.”

The family added: “Due to the failures of the authorities in Scotland, those responsible for this hideous crime still walk our streets.

“Please help the family and Merseyside Police put those responsible for Kevin’s death behind bars, so that the family can finally get justice and that Kevin can finally rest in peace.

“In simple terms, we need to know who killed Kevin.”

In a separate statement, Merseyside Police make their own plea for information.

It reads: “Kevin had gone out with a friend for the evening in Wick, Caithness on Friday, February 7, 1997 and was last seen in the early hours of February 8.

“He was found deceased in Wick Harbour at 11am on February 9.”

Kevin, a 24-year-old electrician, was about 5ft 9in tall. He was athletically built, with short brown hair and was clean shaven.

When he left home he was wearing a black sweatshirt with Levi written in white across the chest. He wore blue denim jeans and black Caterpillar boots.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code