Orkney council’s planning committee has turned down an application from a wind farm developer, asking for more time to get started on one of its projects.
Planning permission for Edinburgh-based Hoolan Energy’s four-turbine development at Costa Head, Birsay, will expire this April.
The developer had initially asked the council for five years to be added on to the three-year time limit they had to begin building the project.
They had also asked for five years to be added on to a 25-year time limit to have the project up and running.
However, that was not what was considered by the planning committee on Wednesday.
Instead, the committee considered extending the three-year limit to ten years and keeping the 25-year limit as it is.
The council said these changes would fall in line with recent wind farm decisions made by Scottish Ministers.
Hoolan’s turbine proposals for Costa were turned down by the council’s planning committee in August 2018.
However, this decision was overturned in April 2019 after an appeal was made to the Scottish Government.
The same transpired for another Hoolan project at Hesta Head in South Ronaldsay.
Despite the Scottish Government being the body that gave the projects the thumbs up, it fell to Orkney council’s planning committee to decide whether to give the developer more time.
Councillor Owen Tierney said it was “kind of funny” that the committee was being asked to approve the extension on a condition they refused in the first place.
The development director with Hoolan, Lizzie Foot, explained their position.
She said the Costa Head turbines would provide a significant contribution to the needs case for the new interconnector between Orkney and the Scottish mainland.
However, she said the Costa project had been “absorbing grid connection delays” around the interconnector and a grid offer connection is expected to be delayed once again.
The planning committee heard from three objectors at the meeting, including the RSPB.
Councillor John Ross Scott moved to approve the application but there was no seconder. The committee’s chairman Rob Crichton then moved to refuse.
He said: “I chaired the meeting where the original decision was to recommend for refusal.
“I took the Scottish Ministers reporters at true value and I’m happy with the conditions that were put on it.
“I don’t feel there’s been proper justification as to why things should have changed.”
A similar application for Hoolan Energy’s Hesta Head development is still awaiting a decision from the council.
By local democracy reporter Andrew Stewart