The Braemar Gathering has been cancelled for a second year due to ongoing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.
The decision follows other Highland Games across Scotland which have been forced to axe plans over fears restrictions on gatherings won’t be lifted in time.
The historic Highland event near the Balmoral Estate has been held in the area for more than 900 years, with the Queen patron of the games.
She would regularly attend the games with her late husband the Duke of Edinburgh, who died on Friday aged 99 at Windsor Castle.
David Geddes, president of the Braemar Royal Highland Society said: “This has been an extremely difficult decision to make. To cancel a gathering is something which I had hoped I would never have to do in my time as president. Now, to cancel for a second year is heart-breaking.
“However, there is still uncertainty surrounding the spread of the virus and we must put the wellbeing of our community, visitors and volunteers first.
“We know the gathering is a highlight in many people’s year and an event which many make plans for well in advance.
“We share everyone’s disappointment and offer our hope and thoughts that you stay well and keep safe as the pandemic moves into what we hope is the final phase.
“As I said last year, like the hills around Braemar, the gathering will be here next year, and we look forward to happier times and to welcoming you back to Braemar on September 3, 2022.”
Tickets for this year’s games will be valid for the 2022 event, however ticket holders can also request a refund from the bookings secretary.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country