More dates added after huge demand for Peter Kay's first tour in years

The 49-year-old comedian will tour across the UK for the first time since 2010.

More dates added after huge demand for Peter Kay’s first tour in years as thousands try to book Hydro shows Getty Images

More arena dates have been added after huge demand for Peter Kay’s first tour in 12 years.

Tickets went on sale at 10am on Saturday morning, including for his Glasgow shows.

The 49-year-old, who has been largely absent from the public eye for the last four years, will travel the country spanning from this December to August 2023.

Demand for pre-sale tickets crashed apps and websites on Thursday.

After thousands tried to book shows on Saturday morning, the comedian announced extra dates had been added at just 10.30am.

At 11.20am Kay confirmed even more dates had been added in in London, Manchester and Birmingham.

Virtual queues of more than 74,000 people could be seen hoping to book seats at the Hydro which only has a capacity of around 14,300.

No further shows in Scotland have been announced yet with him due to play two Scottish dates on May 5 and May 6 at the OVO Hydro in Glasgow next year.

Desperate fans called on the comedian to add more shows in Glasgow or to consider additional Scottish dates with suggestions that Kay should visit to Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

His last tour in 2010 set a world record for the biggest-selling stand-up comedy tour of all time.

Kay had been due to perform again in 2017, but the shows were cancelled due to “unforeseen family circumstances”.

Virtual queues of more than 30,000 people could be seen hoping to book seats at the Hydro which only has a capacity of around 14,300.

Tickets went on general sale on Saturday, but customers of O2, Virgin Media and Three were offered access two days early.

Kay will begin his tour in Manchester on December 2.

Following O2’s priority tickets going on sale, the company said there had been “unprecedented demand” and that they were aware of some customers unable to access the service.

They urged fans to be patient as they said it was the “highest demand we’ve ever seen” in 15 years of the O2 Priority service.

Kay said that the reaction to his tour has been “unbelievable” after making the announcement during the first episode of this year’s I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code