After more than 400 years the classic ‘knock, knock’ joke may soon become a thing of the past after it was revealed 20% of under 30s have never heard of them.
A poll by Perspectus Global found a further 75% of all ages agreed they are a bit old-fashioned and not as funny as they used to be.
Yet 53% of the 2000 Britons surveyed said sometimes a joke is so bad, it is actually funny.
Knock, knock jokes have been a staple of British humour, with most experts believing they originated from William Shakespeare who conjured up many famous phrases, sayings, insults, and jokes.
Knock, knock is said to be one of them having first appeared in a monologue from Macbeth in 1606.
More than 300 years later, the entertainment magazine Variety reported that a ‘Knock, Knock craze’ was sweeping America.
A few months later, a British actor and comedian named ‘Wee Georgie Wood’ started telling knock, knock jokes in the UK.
Despite, or perhaps because of their years of repetition, the study found a quarter of over 50s feel sad that old jokes have fallen by the wayside.
David Arnold from Perspectus Global said, “The classic knock, knock joke is part of our national heritage.
“However funny or unfunny they may be, they still have the ability to put a much needed smile on our faces.
“It would be sad if they were consigned to the joke book of history.”
As many as 18% think that humorous content on social media has changed what we find funny as a nation.
Here’s a list of the worst knock, knock jokes according to the poll:
1. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Cash. Cash who? No thanks, i’m allergic to nuts.
2. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Tank. Tank who? You’re welcome.
3. Knock, knock? Who’s there? Little old lady. Little old lady who? I didn’t know you could yodel.
4. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Dishes. Dishes who? Dishes the Police, come out with your hands up.
5. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Stopwatch. Stopwatcha doing and open the door.
6. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Howard. Howard who? Howard, I know? Just open the door.
7. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Cows go. Cows go who? No cows go moo.
8. Knock, knock. Lettuce. Lettuce who? Lettuce in it’s cold outside.
9. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Nun. Nun, who? Nun of your business.
10. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Alex. Alex who? Alex-plain when you let me in.
11. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Twit. Twit who? Did anyone else hear an owl?
12. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Kanga. Kanga-who? No, it’s a Kangaroo.
13. Knock, knock. Who’s there. Isabel. Isabel who? Isabel working as I had to knock?
14. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Alpaca who? Alpaca the suitcase and you load the car.
15. Knock, knock. Who’s there? Ya. Ya who? No thanks, I prefer Google.