The support act for Arcade Fire’s current tour has quit amid allegations of sexual misconduct against frontman Win Butler.
Canadian musician Feist announced the “incredibly difficult” decision on social media, with Arcade Fire still due to play the OVO Hydro on Monday, September 5.
It comes after the lead singer of Arcade Fire was accused of sexual misconduct by four people, first reported by US music publication Pitchfork on August 27.
In two statements to Pitchfork, Butler denied the allegations and said the sexual interactions he had with the four had been consensual.
Arcade Fire recently began a major European tour, with Feist having supported them on the first two dates in Dublin, Ireland, on August 30 and 31.
However, in her lengthy post, the singer-songwriter explained that she was “claiming my responsibility now and going home”.
The singer-songwriter said that she had chosen to “distance myself from this tour not this conversation”.
“At a pub in Dublin, after rehearsing with my band, I read the same headline you did,” she continued.
“We didn’t have any time to prepare for what was coming, let alone a chance to decide not to fly across the ocean into the belly of this situation.
“This has been incredibly difficult for me and I can only imagine how much more difficult it’s been for the people who came forward. More than anything I wish healing to those involved.”
Feist said that the situation had sparked a conversation that is “bigger than me” or her songs and “certainly bigger than any rock and roll tour”.
She said that remaining on the tour would “symbolise” her defending against or ignoring the claims against Butler.
She continued: “The last two nights on stage, my songs made this decision for me.
“I’ve always written songs to name my own subtle difficulties, aspire to my best self and claim responsibility when I need to.
“And I’m claiming my responsibility now and going home.”
Three women shared claims of sexual encounters with Butler and pointed to “the gaps in age, power dynamics, and context in which they occurred”.
Another person, who uses they/them pronouns, said they had been sexually assaulted by Butler twice in 2015, when they were 21 and he was 24.
Butler 42, is married to bandmate Régine Chassagne and they have a nine-year-old son.
Butler said he is trying to learn from his mistakes and trying “to become a better person”.
OVO Hydro confirmed the gig is still to go ahead on Monday, September 5.