Two schoolchildren have been charged following a blaze which broke out at a “historically important” football stadium in Fife.
On Tuesday, at around 10pm, a fire erupted on Milton Road in Windygates and spread to a cabin used by Eastvale Football Club.
The structure, which houses the team’s changing rooms, had recently been refurbished. The club’s chairman said he was “devastated”.
Two boys, aged 12 and 14 years old, have been charged in connection with the blaze, and will now be subject to the Youth Justice Intervention.
Sergeant Craig Fyall, of Levenmouth Police Station, said: “This is another reminder of the devastation that can be caused by fire and it is extremely fortunate that no-one was injured on this occasion.
“Eastvale and Greig Park have historically been an important part of the village’s football heritage so it was particularly disappointing to see the facility destroyed by an act of fire raising.
“The response from the community, elected members and businesses following the events on Tuesday to pull together in support of the football club has been quite remarkable and hopefully the facility can be restored as quickly as possible.”
Chairman of Eastvale FC, David Smith, revealed on a Facebook post how the fire has left him “devastated”.
He wrote: “Unfortunately there was a fire that broke out on June 14, and managed it’s way through one of our cabins.
“This cabin was the home changing rooms where we have just spent money getting it up to scratch by refurbishing the showers and painting the rooms.
“We as a team use them, East Fife 2007 have recently been using them, as well as the Empire.
“Sitting here right now, absolutely devastated.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country