Two cats from same street die within days from 'antifreeze poisoning'

The Scottish SPCA are appealing for information following two incidents of suspected antifreeze poisoning.

Two cats from same Bathgate street die within days from suspected antifreeze poisoning Scottish SPCA

Two cats from the same street have died within days of each other from suspected antifreeze poisoning.

One cat, named Frankie, disappeared for two days from his home in Bathgate, before his owners spotted him in someone’s garden. 

Frankie was found unresponsive and was rushed to the vets where it was found he had kidney and brain damage, which is often the result of antifreeze poisoning.

As he would not have recovered, Frankie was put to sleep.

The Scottish SPCA have been informed that it is potentially the second incident in the same street in the last week. 

The cats involved lived two doors down from each other on Philip Avenue, Bathgate.

Scottish SPCA inspector, Fiona Thorburn, said: “We were saddened to hear of the circumstances of these cats’ deaths, and our thoughts are with their owners.

“Frankie was just six years old.

“He disappeared for two days, until his owners spotted him in someone’s garden on their way to the supermarket.

“Frankie couldn’t get up at all or raise his head. His head wouldn’t stop shaking and he was not responsive to his owners.

“He was rushed to the vets where it was found he had kidney and brain damage, which are classic symptoms of antifreeze poisoning. He would not have recovered and Frankie sadly had to be put to sleep on veterinary advice.

“Antifreeze is highly poisonous to cats and causes a very slow, painful death.”

She urged local residents to store antifreeze safely and out of reach of animals.

“It could be that these cats are accessing a garage or area where antifreeze is not stored safely so we are appealing for local residents to please check anywhere that they think might be a risk,” Ms Thorburn said.

“It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals and checks routinely to make sure there are no leaks.

“There are strict guidelines for use and anyone who uses this substance to cause deliberate harm is committing an offence. We’d ask the public to report anything that may seem suspicious.

“We’d also ask local cat owners to be vigilant and to seek urgent veterinary treatment if their cat appears unwell.

“If anyone has any information about this incident, or any toxic substances being deliberately used against animals, then we would urge them to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code