A Scottish actor who forced a young child to eat his own vomit during a catalogue of abuse has avoided a jail sentence.
Renar Bain – who has appeared in the blockbuster movies Indiana Jones 5 and Steve Coogan’s The Lost King – repeatedly assaulted two children by striking them to the head with her hand while looking after them.
Bain, 44, demanded one of the children eat food that had been dropped on the floor before making the youngster swallow his own vomit after he had been sick.
Bain carried out the abuse on one child over an eight-year period while the second child was abused over a four-year period at a property in Edinburgh.
The actor and model, who is originally from Thailand, denied the allegations but was found guilty of the abusive behaviour following a two-day trial at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last month.
She returned to the court for a sentencing on Thursday where Sheriff Wendy Sheehan said she had “reservations” about the social work report that had highlighted problems with Bain’s “insight and responsibility” into the offences.
Sheriff Sheehan said the report stated Bain had blamed “cultural differences” for her behaviour and that a relative of the children had “encouraged” them to report the abusive incidents.
The sheriff sentenced Bain to be placed under the supervision of the social work department for the next 18 months.
The trial heard evidence from both children through recorded police interviews where they both stated Bain had regular struck them to the head during visits to her home.
On an occasion while visiting her home one child described how he had accidentally dropped noodles onto the floor and was made to eat the food after Bain had spooned it back onto his plate.
The boy also said on two occasions he had been sick into his plate at the dinner table and Bain had separated the food from the vomit and made him eat it.
Bain gave evidence to the court through an interpreter claiming the child had been “confused” and denied threatening him as that would have been “disgusting”.
Bain, from Wester Hailes, Edinburgh, added: “It would have been cruel and I would not have done anything like that.”
During cross examination by prosecutor Jack Caster, the actor denied having a short temper, slapping the children, making one of them eat food that had been on the floor or forcing him to eat the sick.
But following the evidence Sheriff Sheehan found Bain guilty of three amended charges of assault and ill-treatment between January 1, 2012 and May 6, 2020.
Allegations of Bain assaulting both children by hitting them with a metal tube and repeatedly forcing one of the children into a cold shower were deleted from the charges.
Sheriff Sheehan said Bain had carried out the assaults over “a significant period of time” and the children had given “clear and compelling evidence” regarding the abuse.
Bain’s profile on the Star Now audition website states she is a commercial model, actor, TV presenter, DJ and hair stylist.