Football club launch investigation with police after supporter 'assaulted'

Police are investigating reports that a Raith Rovers fan was attacked following the club's victory over Dunfermline on Tuesday.

Raith Rovers launch investigation with Police Scotland after supporter ‘assaulted’ SNS Group

Raith Rovers have launched an investigation with Police Scotland after a supporter was allegedly assaulted following Tuesday’s match with Dunfermline.

The Championship leaders took to X on Tuesday evening following the club’s 2-1 victory at KDM Group East End Park over rivals Dunfermline Athletic.

In a statement, they revealed they were aware of an incident involving one of their supporters being assaulted.

Police Scotland confirmed that an 18-year-old man was taken to Victoria Hospital after being assaulted at around 5.30pm.

Raith Rovers confirmed they were working with Police Scotland and Dunfermline Athletic in an effort to identify those involved in the alleged attack.

A Raith Rovers spokesperson said: “We are aware of an incident involving one of our supporters being assaulted after today’s match.

“We have contacted the supporter to check on their well-being and to see how we can provide support in any way possible.

“The incident has been reported to the police and we will work with Dunfermline Athletic to identify the offenders.”

A statement from Dunfermline read: “Dunfermline Athletic are aware of a video circulating on social media last night.

“The club condemns all forms of violence in the strongest possible way and we will support the authorities in identifying any individuals involved. We will work with Raith Rovers to ensure that the supporter involved receives the support they need.

“Any supporter found to have taken part in this horrible act will be banned from KDM Group East End Park.”

Inspector Neil McGurk said: “We are carrying out enquiries after an 18-year-old man was assaulted in Dunfermline around 5.30pm on Tuesday, January 2, 2024 following the Dunfermline Athletic v Raith Rovers football fixture.

“He was taken to Victoria Hospital for treatment.

“We would appeal to anyone who witnessed the assault to get in touch with Police Scotland on 101. This type of behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. We will work with both football clubs to identify those responsible”.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in