Police have launched an investigation into claims staff at a morgue in the 1990s ‘had sex with dead bodies’.
The allegations have been made against council-owned Edinburgh City Mortuary.
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We are aware of a report. Enquiries are ongoing and at an early stage.”
An Edinburgh City Council spokesperson told STV News that the local authority was aware of the police report.
They added: “We’ll assist them fully with their enquiries.”
According to The Sun, the allegations were reported in light of the court case of hospital electrician David Fuller.
Last week, the 67-year-old admitted murdering then sexually assaulting two women decades before carrying out dozens of sex attacks on corpses in mortuaries over a period of 12 years.
He filmed himself carrying out the attacks at mortuaries inside the now closed Kent and Sussex Hospital and the Tunbridge Wells Hospital, in Pembury, where he worked in electrical maintenance roles since 1989.
An inquiry has been launched in England to examine how Fuller went undetected.
Fuller pleaded guilty on November 4 to murdering Wendy Knell, 25, and Caroline Pierce, 20, in two separate attacks in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, in 1987.
Identified victims from his mortuary attacks included three children under the age of 18 and others older than 85 between 2008 and November 2020.