Parents are lobbying to be allowed to watch nativity plays in schools after a council decided to stream them on YouTube due to Covid fears.
Falkirk Council has also cancelled all school trips in the run up to Christmas citing “attempting to keep schools open” as a priority.
A play had been planned to go ahead at Kinnaird Primary School on December 2, but it will now be screened on YouTube.
Outraged mum Debbie Sneddon was heartbroken that she would not be able to see her son Cameron, five, dressed up as a shepherd alongside other P1 pupils.
A message was sent on Thursday saying: “However, the show must go on.
“Our P1 pupils and teachers are still hard at work perfecting their performances which will now be shared with you via YouTube video.”
Debbie has launched a petition in a bid to get the decision overturned, which nearly 590 people have signed, with some suggesting Covid passports could be shown.
Debbie said: “I work in a dental practice, I’m double jagged and I know all the protocols to follow.
“Everyone I’ve spoke to said that they would be happy to wear a mask and the hall at Kinnaird is large enough to accommodate everyone safely.
“I was at the Scotland v South Africa rugby match in Murrayfield recently with 67,000 other people but I can’t go to a school event?
“It’s also a huge disappointment for all the children who have worked so hard.
“We didn’t get to take our children into the classroom on their first day at school.
“Instead we had to leave them at the gate.
“I was lucky that Cameron was happy to go in but there were other children who were crying and their parents couldn’t go in with them.
“We are missing so many precious memories.”
A spokesperson for Falkirk Council said: “Keeping our schools open is our top priority, and we must do all we can to try and limit the spread of Covid-19 in our school to help our communities remain as safe as possible over the festive period.
“Unfortunately, this means we have had to cancel in-person school events and trips in the run up to the Christmas holidays.
“This decision was not taken lightly, but having reviewed the current national guidance, and following discussions with Trade Unions, health and safety colleagues and senior officials across the council, it was felt the best and safest decision to take at this time.”