Paramedic’s hug for daughter after months apart due to Covid-19

Scottish Ambulance Service worker Jamie Brannan moved out of his home at the beginning of lockdown to protect his family.

Paramedic’s hug for daughter after months apart due to Covid-19 Scottish Ambulance Service

The heartwarming moment a paramedic was able to hug his daughter after almost 11 weeks apart due to the coronavirus pandemic has been captured on camera.

Jamie Brannan, 41, of Newburgh, Fife, made the decision on March 27 to live separately from his wife, Louise, and six-year-old daughter Jessica to protect them through the peak of Covid-19.

Following the easing of restrictions over the past month, Mr Brannan decided it was time to go home and was reunited with his family on June 10.

Love: Mr Brannan moved out of the family home at the start of lockdown.

The Scottish Ambulance Service worker, who is based in Perth, said: “Being reunited with my family was the most amazing feeling. 

“My wife and I have been together for 15 years now, 14 of which we have lived together. So being separated for so long was such a shock to us both.

“But I have to say, and I don’t think my wife will mind me saying, the biggest reward of all was getting that first hug from my daughter. 

“Being able to hold her again was amazing and emotional. It felt as though we had been separated for years. Moving out was such a difficult decision but it was also the correct one.

“I’d also like to say I’ve heard many stories from across the service of staff making sacrifices. All with the aim of protecting their loved ones and continuing the amazing work they do every day within the service.”

Family: Mr Brannan is back home.

Two years ago, Louise became very sick with sepsis, which resulted in her slipping into septic shock. 

Mr Brannan found her unconscious and after she was rushed to hospital he was told she would likely die.

Although she has fought back to recover, she remains immunosuppressed, meaning she has a weakened immune system.

Mr Brannan said: “Thankfully she was strong enough to fight the infection and woke up from an induced coma after 24 hours. 

“However, she remains immunosuppressed so, when we began attending more and more suspected Covid cases, I decided the best thing to do was separate myself from my family.” 

Mr Brannan said he was in a fortunate position where he had a flat to move into, and added: “The flat is in the same village so I was able to have mostly daily visits when I wasn’t on shift.

“Keeping my distance, of course, and avoiding all contact. I never entered the house and sometimes, if it was raining, I would have to stand outside and talk from the other side of the window. 

“This was by far the hardest aspect of it all – being separated from my family. 

“I remember going to visit for the first time and my daughter ran over to hug me and I had to stop her. I can honestly say I’ll never forget the look on her face – one of confusion and sadness. 

“Luckily she grew to understand why I was doing what I was doing and it wasn’t forever.” 

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code