One man dead and two survivors pulled from rubble after explosion destroys home

Locals reported hearing a bang from as far away as Gilmerton, miles from the blast site.

A man has died and two survivors have been pulled from rubble after an explosion destroyed a home in Edinburgh.

Police Scotland confirmed reports were received of an eruption at an address on Baberton Mains Avenue at roughly 10.25pm on Friday.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said five appliances had been in attendance and that two people had been rescued from the ruins of the home prior to their arrival.

Firefighters left the scene at 6.39am on Saturday after handing control over to Police Scotland.

An 84-year-old man has died following the explosion, police confirmed on Saturday morning.

He has been named locally as James Smith.

A 43-year-old woman and 54-year-old man were taken to hospital for treatment.

Several homes were evacuated “as a precaution” and the road remains closed, officers said.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “There are no suspicious circumstances and we are continuing to work alongside our partner agencies.”

On X, formerly known as Twitter, locals reported hearing the explosion as far away as Gilmerton, a suburb on the fringe of Edinburgh and miles from the blast site.

Neighbours revealed they could feel their homes shaking, while another person tweeted that they had heard the blast from inside a movie theatre in the nearby suburb of Wester Hailes.

A fundraiser has been set up to support the family.

“With it being so close to Christmas they have lost everything and their home,” organiser Ross Aitchison said.

“I would like to please ask for anything small so we can give this family something back so close to Christmas.”

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 10.26 pm on Friday, December 1, to reports of a gas explosion affecting residential properties on Baberton Mains Avenue in Edinburgh.

“Operations control mobilised five fire appliances and specialist resources to the area where firefighters worked to make the area safe.

“Two casualties were rescued prior to our arrival, and the crews remain on scene.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in