The mother of a 20-year-old who died after jumping into a Scottish loch has issued a warning of the dangers of open water.
Keivan Ulhaq, from Fife, was socialising with friends at Lochore Meadows, known as The Meedies, on Saturday, June 20.
His mum, Sheena Ulhaq, said that Keivan, a six-foot tall “strapping lad” liked doing backflips into the water.
But when he entered the freezing cold Loch Ore that evening, he began to struggle.
“On the day he died, I remember the weather was really nice and I was at home decorating,” Ms Ulhaq said.
“He had gone to The Meedies with some friends, but the water was still freezing cold despite the weather.
“Keivan was really active and was always doing backflips, especially if we were at the beach then he’d do backflips into the water.
“But that day he struggled despite being a six-foot big strapping lad. He suffered cold water shock and had a cardiac arrest.”
At 6pm, emergency services were called and Keivan was pulled from the water and taken to Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy but died a short time later.
“Keivan was happy go lucky and he loved life. He doted on his younger brothers and sisters. We all miss him so much,” Ms Ulhaq said.
“It’s really important that people are aware of the dangers of open water because I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone else.
“I’m so grateful for all the support I’ve had, since Keivan died, from everyone who knows the family and I thank them from the bottom of my heart.”
Since Keivan’s death, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and partners have installed new water safety signs and lifesaving throwline equipment at Lochore Meadows.
Ms Ulhaq is raising funds for more equipment including a defibrillator. She wants to prevent anyone else from going through the tragic events of last year.
Keivan’s family who live in Cowdenbeath; his mum, eight siblings and Ms Ulhaq’s husband Nisar, along with his friends are taking part in a remembrance walk at Lochore Meadows on Saturday, June 12, at 4pm.
Station commander Michael Gemmell, based in Fife, said: “What happened to Keivan was a tragedy and it’s devastating for everyone who knew him.
“Unless you are fully trained, competent and equipped to enter watercourses, keep a safe distance from water.
“This isn’t about spoiling anyone’s fun, it’s about preventing anyone else from needlessly losing their life.”
The Fire Service warned that open water can become very cold just a few feet under the surface. These low temperatures can cause Cold Water Shock and cramps, which can mean your ability to swim deteriorates rapidly.
SFRS deputy assistant chief officer Alasdair Perry said that crews regularly respond to emergency calls after people get into difficulty in the water.
He said: “We want people to stay safe around water this summer.
“We all like heading outdoors at this time of year, but unsupervised water can be extremely dangerous.”
For information on how to stay safe around water visit the SFRS water safety page.