Man gunned down in Hogmanay shooting 'urged enemies to come and get it'

Marc Webley was shot outside a pub on Granton Crescent in Edinburgh on December 31, along with a second man.

Marc Webley shot outside Anchor Inn pub on Hogmanay in Granton ‘taunted rivals online before death’ STV News

A man who was gunned down in a double shooting outside a pub on Hogmanay urged his enemies to “come and get it” hours before his death.

Marc Webley, 38, was shot outside the Anchor Inn pub on Granton Crescent in Edinburgh on December 31, along with a second man.

Police believe an armed driver pulled up in a red Hyundai Tucson to the premises, got out the vehicle and shot the two men, before making off in the direction of Leith.

It is also believed another person was in the vehicle during the incident.

Both men were taken to hospital, where Marc Webley succumbed to his injuries. The second man, aged 39, is believed to be in a serious but stable condition.

In videos posted just hours before his death on social media, Marc Webley urged his enemies to “come and get it”.

He was previously convicted of taking part in a gangland shooting in 2005 and spent 11 years behind bars.

At the time, police said a “ruthless young criminal has been removed from the capital’s streets”.

Webley was also cleared of two attempted murders in the capital back in 2022.

His former partner, EuroMillions winner Jane Park, paid tribute to Webley online following his death. It is believed they were in a relationship up until recently.

Edinburgh Council leader Cammy Day worked with Webley’s family before becoming a councillor.

He told STV News: “I worked as a local youth and community worker for some time and I know Marc’s family well, or enough, and his mum and brothers, my thoughts are obviously with them now.”

Police said an “extensive investigation” is ongoing in a bid to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

Detective Superintendent Graham Grant said: “We would like to thank members of the public who have assisted our enquiries so far and would continue to ask anyone with information who hasn’t yet spoken to us to please come forward.

“In particular, we are appealing for any information or footage of the suspect vehicle and it’s movements before and after the incident happened. If you saw this vehicle in the surrounding area late on Sunday evening, we would like to hear from you.

“Our thoughts and condolences remain with the family and friends of both men involved.”

Superintendent Sam Ainslie said: “We completely understand local community concern following this shocking incident and would like to reassure members of the public that this is believed to have been an isolated targeted attack.

“Police Scotland takes incidents of this nature extremely seriously, this type of reckless criminality will not be tolerated, and we will do everything in our power to bring the perpetrators to justice.

“Officers continue to carry out extra patrols in the area to provide reassurance and we would urge anyone with concerns or information to contact us via 101 quoting reference 3819 of December 31. Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111”. 

An online portal has been set up to allow members of the public to send information directly to the police. This can be accessed here: Public Portal (mipp.police.uk)

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in