A man who murdered his wife in a knife attack while her four children were in the family home has been sentenced to life in prison.
First offender Momodou Bobb stabbed his wife, Ndata Bobb, at least 22 times during the attack at their home in Restalrig Avenue, Edinburgh.
The killer later claimed that he and his partner were fighting, and he was holding a knife that had slipped.
The 56-year-old admitted to murdering his wife on August 27 and 28 last year at the family home by repeatedly striking her with a knife.
At the High Court in Edinburgh, Bobb was ordered to serve 16 years and eight months in jail before he is eligible to seek release from parole authorities following the brutal murder.
Lady Haldane told him: “This was undoubtedly a frenzied attack, involving 22 stab wounds, on your wife, whom you claimed to have loved.”
She said no credible explanation has been offered for the violence inflicted on his spouse and added that Bobb’s culpability and the harm he has caused were both high.
The judge told him: “Whether or not you are ever released will be for others to determine in future, and even if released, you will be subject to a licence for the rest of your life.”
Lady Haldane said a sister of the deceased had explained that the loss of Ndata in such horrific circumstances following the death of their mother was nothing short of unbearable for the family.
She said it was to the great credit of the family that they have rallied round to support the children of Mrs Bobb.
The court heard that the 42-year-old former bank worker married Bobb in 2015 and had a daughter and two sons by him.
In 2018, she left her native Gambia to move to England to live with her new husband. Bobb, who was also born in the African country of Gambia, had moved to the UK in 1995.
The couple and their children moved into the flat in Edinburgh in December 2023.
999 call
In the early hours of August 28 last year, police received a 999 call reporting that there had been “a fight” between the couple, advocate depute Lisa Gillespie KC told the court.
When officers arrived at the house, Bobb immediately opened the front door, wearing boxer shorts and with blood on his hands, chest and feet, she said.
The prosecutor said that Bobb, who was previously diagnosed with cancer of the larynx, was wearing a bandage on his throat and appeared to be unable to speak beyond a whisper.
She said: “He appeared calm and undistressed. He motioned with his hand for the officers to enter.
“He proceeded to the living room, where he sat down on a sofa and indicated with his hand towards the side of the room, where the deceased was lying face down on the floor.
“She was dressed in a vest top and pyjama bottoms. She was not moving and had numerous wounds to her face, neck, chest and arms. Blood had pooled around her and was splattered up the wall next to her,” said the advocate depute.
Officers found two blood-stained knives on a kitchen table and made efforts to resuscitate the victim while they awaited the arrival of an ambulance.
Paramedics arrived, and the victim was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where she later died.
One witness described hearing Mrs Bobb screaming, “Leave me alone,” and crying loudly before she fell to the living room floor.
Bobb was arrested and found to have serious knife wounds to his hand and was taken to hospital for treatment.
The advocate depute said: “While being treated, he commented that he and his partner had been fighting and that he had been holding a knife that had slipped.”
A post-mortem was carried out on the victim, and the cause of death was established as a seven-centimetre deep stab wound to the neck, which had cut the jugular vein.
Moira Orr, who leads on homicide for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, said: “Momodou Bobb murdered Ndata Bobb in her own home – a place where she had every right to be safe.
“His deliberate actions have taken the life of a much‑loved mother and sister.
“Her death has had a profound and devastating impact on her family, bringing unimaginable grief and trauma.
“While Bobb has now admitted his guilt and been held accountable, our thoughts today remain with Ndata’s family.
“This case is another stark reminder of the harm caused by violence against women and girls.
“Scotland’s prosecutors will continue to use every tool available to pursue those responsible for this type of offending and to protect the public from harm.”
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

Police Scotland





















