Man carried out sex attack after celebrating 40th birthday

Dean Stevens approached victim from behind before putting his fingers in her mouth.

Man carried out sex attack after celebrating 40th birthday STV News

A convicted rapist carried out a sex attack on a woman in a Fife park after celebrating his 40th birthday.

Dean Stevens followed his victim as she made her way to meet a work colleague and approached her from behind before putting his fingers in her mouth.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard the 26-year-old began to scream but her attacker told her to to shut up.

Advocate depute Lindsey Dalziel said: “The accused was trying to push the complainer onto the ground but she bit his fingers.”

Stevens, 40, pushed the woman into bushes at Pittencrieff Park, Dunfermline, and began running off.

The prosecutor said: “She watched him and saw him fall over but he then got up and continued running.”

The assault victim began shouting for help but there was no one around early on the Sunday morning.

She got out of the park and met up with her colleague, who was waiting to give her a lift to work, and told her what had happened.

Ms Dalziel said: “She was dishevelled, crying and distressed but declined the offer of a lift home.”

The woman made her way home, but avoided the park and contacted the police. She was found to have scratches to her mouth, lip and neck.

Detectives spoke to Stevens, who is on the sex offenders’ register, the following day. He said that on the evening before the attack he bought alcohol from an Asda store and went home to drink alone.

He said he had little recollection of the evening because of the amount that he drank. He maintained that he did not leave his home address.

Ms Dalziel said: “He stated he had not been in any public parks in Dunfermline as this was against his conditions. He has no such live condition.”

Stevens said he remembered sending a text message to his social worker as it was his 40th birthday.

A Fife Council social worker later turned on her work mobile phone and found a message from Stevens which said: “So sorry, 40 today, have to say need guidance cos I’ve no excuse… I hate myself deserve all I get.”

CCTV footage was recovered which showed Stevens leaving Pittencrieff Park at 6.24am on May 24 this year. He appeared furtive and was adjusting his clothing and broke into a run.

Stevens was detained at an address in Nethertown Broad Street, in Dunfermline, on June 5 and items of clothing matching that seen on CCTV were seized.

Defence counsel Michael Anderson said that Stevens had no recollection of the offence.

Stevens admitted assaulting the woman with intent to rape her on May 24 this year at Pittencrieff Park by following her, grabbing her body from behind, inserting fingers into her mouth and pushing her.

The court heard that Stevens was jailed for six years in 2006 after subjecting a 15-year-old girl to a repeated rape ordeal in Edinburgh.

The victim was approached from behind and forced into bushes. He was also convicted of indecent exposure in 2018.

The Crown made an application for a risk assessment order to be made on Stevens, which can result in the imposition of an Order for Lifelong Restriction.

The judge, Lady Carmichael, continued consideration of the Crown motion and called for a background report on Stevens ahead of a further hearing next month.

Stevens followed proceedings via a video link to Perth prison where he is currently held.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code