Man asked if he would ‘be on the news’ after raping disabled pensioner

Kyle McKenzie broke into the 83-year-old woman's house before attacking and raping her.

Man asked if he would ‘be on the news’ after raping disabled pensioner iStock

A masked sex attacker raped a disabled woman in her home – then later asked police if he would end up in the news.

Kyle McKenzie used a boulder to help him break into the 83-year-old victim’s house through a window as she lay in bed sleeping at around 5am.

He pulled the bed covers from her and said “do not scream – do not resist” while brandishing a garden tool.

A judge heard how the pensioner, who has a pacemaker and is registered disabled, tried to fight off McKenzie who punched her several times in the head during a struggle.

After he put the woman through a harrowing ordeal, the 23-year-old escaped out a window of the property in Glenrothes, Fife.

The widow managed to press her personal safety alarm and in a tearful call stated to a worker: “I have just been raped. Please – hurry, hurry.”

It was around a fortnight later before McKenzie was traced.

It emerged he had also broken into an elderly couple’s home shortly before the sex attack on June 25 last year.

After being charged, McKenzie stated to police: “Allegation of rape? That will ruin me.

“Are the papers going to know my name?”

First offender McKenzie now face a lengthy stint behind bars after he pled guilty to charges of rape and housebreaking.

He will return to the dock next month.

Prosecutor Graeme Jessop told how the rape victim was partially deaf, registered disabled and lived alone at her home.

Mr Jessop: “She observed a man wearing all black clothing and balaclava while brandishing a garden tool.

“He continued to pull the bed covers from the woman, who became frightened and began to resist.

“She grabbed his hand containing the weeding tool and discovered he was wearing rubber gloves.

“She began to struggle with McKenzie and was repeatedly punched to the head.”

The woman ended up on the floor at one stage.

She pleaded with the attacker: “You are going to kill me.”

He went on to rape the pensioner, who eventually managed to trigger her safety alarm.

Mr Jessop: “She describes ‘not being in this world’ for a number of minutes.”

It is thought McKenzie was spooked by the noise of the alarm and fled the scene.

An advisor at the Community Alarm Team at Fife Council managed to speak to the victim, who begged for help.

The woman was found to be “distressed, shocked and confused” when police initially met her.

She had suffered a number of bruises as a result of her ordeal.

DNA later linked McKenzie to the crime. 

The pattern from the sole of his Adidas trainers also matched a footwear mark found under the victim’s bedroom window.

Police discovered he had left a friend’s house in Kirkcaldy drunk hours before the rape.

This was a “relatively short distance” from the woman’s home and the house of a couple he stole a wine decanter from.

The hearing was told McKenzie lived between his brother’s house in Glenrothes and his girlfriend’s in Falkirk, Stirlingshire at the time.

McKenzie was remanded in custody by judge Lord Boyd and is due to be sentenced on December 20 in Edinburgh.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code