Flats evacuated after 'explosion' caused by candle and gas canister 

Emergency services confirmed there was no injuries following the incident at Wilderhaugh Court, in Galashiels.

Galashiels flats evacuated after ‘explosion’ caused by candle and gas canister Bulldog Bakes via Supplied

A block of flats was evacuated after a candle ignited a gas canister in Galashiels.

Emergency services were called to Wilderhaugh Court at around 3am on Friday after receiving reports of a suspected gas explosion.

Three appliances were sent to the scene, and it was discovered the fire was caused by a candle igniting a small aerosol gas canister.

The fire was safely extinguished, and crews left the scene at around 6.48am after ensuring the area was safe.

No injuries were reported as a result of the incident.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted by emergency service partners at 3.07am on Friday, December 2, to reports of an explosion at a property at Wilderhaugh Court, Galashiels.

“Operations Control mobilised three fire appliances and firefighters worked to extinguish the fire.

“It was a suspected gas explosion, however, it was a candle igniting a small aerosol gas canister.

“We sent three appliances to the site, which was scaled down to one appliance by 6am and we were away by 6.48am.

“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 3am on Friday, December 2, police were called to a report of an explosion at a flat in Wilderhaugh Court, Galashiels.

“A cordon was put in place and a number of flats were evacuated, however, all residents have returned to their homes. There have been no reports of any injuries.

“No criminality was established and advice and assistance has been given.

“Emergency services are no longer at the scene.”

More on