A full investigation into the circumstances surrounding a fire at a recycling centre in Perth is under way, the First Minister has confirmed.
Emergency services were called to Shore Recycling Ltd at Friarton Bridge Park shortly before 12.39am on Tuesday, following reports of an explosion and ensuing blaze.
Six appliances plus specialist resources were dispatched to tackle the fire, which involved around 200 tonnes of scrap material.
The body of a 46-year-old man was found at the scene, and another man, aged 41, was taken by ambulance to Ninewells Hospital with serious injuries.
It comes after another fire engulfed the electrical waste recycling plant last year.
Police Scotland, Scottish Fire and Rescue and the Crown Office will now carry out a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fire.
Scottish Greens MSP Mark Ruskell asked Nicola Sturgeon to offer an update on the blaze during First Minister’s Questions on Thursday.
The Mid Scotland and Fife MSP said the latest incident was the third fire in 12 months at the facility and called for a detailed investigation to “prevent such a tragedy from happening again”.
In response to his question, Sturgeon confirmed a multi-agency investigation was under way, but said it would not be appropriate for her to comment further.
She added fire crews would be checking on the site over the coming days.
Ruskell said: “It is right that in the days to come, our focus must be on the facts of the situation which is why we must ensure that there is a full and proper investigation into the circumstances of this incident to ensure that such a tragedy does not happen once again.
“I am glad to hear the First Minister confirm that such an investigation is required and is in fact underway, and I stand ready to provide my support to all those involved.
“My thoughts are very much with the families and friends of those involved in this terrible incident. We offer our sincerest condolences to all those impacted by such tragic news.
“I am grateful to all the emergency services and other responding agencies for their professionalism. In times like these, they really are the very best of us.”
Aberdeen City Council announced on Wednesday that due to the fire, it urged residents not to bring small electrical items, fridges, and freezers to its recycling centres for the time being.
Residents have also been asked not to request a special uplift for those types of items.
All 31 other councils in Scotland have been asked if acceptance of electrical items will be halted following the fire.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country