A summit was held in Edinburgh after Bonfire Night chaos which saw petrol bombs and fireworks thrown at police officers.
The city’s council, community representatives, local MPs, MSPs, councillors and partner agencies met on Monday at Castlebrae Community Campus in Niddrie to discuss the matters.
There were a total of 21 injuries after petrol bombs and fireworks were thrown at officers in Glasgow and Edinburgh on November 5.
Earlier this month, Police Scotland confirmed the number of people charged in relation to the disorder in the area on Bonfire Night is 27 in relation to a total of 53 offences.
The ages of those charged range between 12 and 34 years of age, with the majority in their mid to late teens.
A total of 31 charges, against 15 individuals, relates specifically to the disorder seen in the Niddrie area.
The summit, which was hosted by council leader Cammy Day, discussed the events of this year, and looked ahead to how to address Bonfire Night and fireworks use in the future.
It included the council’s preventative community work alongside partners, the future implementation of Firework Control Zones (FCZs) and other strategies.
The City of Edinburgh Council said that work is already well under way in these areas and there will be a further summit in March 2024.
Council leader Cammy Day said: “It was really useful to come together and discuss our collective approach to Bonfire Night and broader fireworks use.
“Unfortunately, in recent years, Bonfire Night has become something of a focal point for potentially life-threatening disorder and violence. This year had the distinction of clear planning and premeditation on the part of those attacking police in Niddrie, which is a deeply disturbing development. I fear that unless we take decisive action now it is only a matter of time before we see serious injuries or even deaths on a future Bonfire Night.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to our fantastic emergency services colleagues who do an excellent job in keeping us all safe.
“I believe that we need to go further and ban the public sale of fireworks, such is the unprecedented risk to public safety and order. Whilst this may seem unfair to the majority of people who celebrate and use fireworks responsibly, what we have seen this year necessitates such a response. I’ll also be looking into whether we can help provide organised displays in the city, so our residents can enjoy fireworks in a safe and secure way.
“We need to face these challenges head on, and I look forward to further summits in the New Year.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country