Man dead and another injured in shooting outside pub on New Year's Eve

Officers were called to the Anchor Inn near Granton Crescent after receiving reports at around 11.50pm on Sunday.

‘EuroMillions winner’s ex’ is ‘shot dead outside pub’ on New Year’s Eve Alan Simpson

Police are investigating after two men were shot outside a New Year’s Eve party at a pub in Edinburgh.

At around 11.50pm on Sunday, officers were called to reports that a firearm was discharged on Granton Crescent, near the Anchor Inn.

Emergency services attended and the two injured men were taken to hospital.

One of them, a 38-year-old named in newspaper reports as Marc Webley, was pronounced dead a short while later. Another 39-year-old man is in hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Police Scotland said it is treating the attack as murder, and has not confirmed the identity of the dead man.

Road closures are in place on West Granton Road and Granton Crescent while enquiries continue.

Webley was previously convicted of being involved in a gangland shooting in 2005. He was celebrating with friends when he was shot in a gang-related attack, the Daily Record reported.

His brother Don posted a picture of him on Facebook on New Year’s Day, with many people leaving messages of condolence.

Edinburgh lottery winner Jane Park also posted a tribute to the 36-year-old.

Webley had been in a relationship with Ms Park – who won £1m on the EuroMillions when she was 17 in 2013 – until recently, it is understood.

Posting on her Instagram story, she said: “I can’t believe I’m writing this, we spoke yesterday. If I could cuddle you again and tell you everything is going to be OK I would give anything to do it, Marc.

“The months we spent together, you taught me some valuable things in life and I’ll never ever forget you.

“I am absolutely devastated. The best bed for you is up there My Handsome.”

In 2005, Webley and and James Tant were each sentenced to 11 years at Glasgow High Court for attempted murder in Edinburgh earlier that year.

Webley, who was 19 at the time, shot another man in Granton in what was described as a failed gangland hit.

Detective superintendent Graham Grant said: “This is believed to have been a targeted incident and our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends of both men involved.

“Enquiries are at a very early stage to establish the full circumstances surrounding what happened, and while officers have already gathered CCTV and spoken to various people who were in the area at the time, I’d urge anyone with information who hasn’t yet spoken to us to come forward.

“In particular if anyone has private CCTV, doorbell footage or dashcam of the Granton Crescent/Road area around the time of the incident, please bring it to our attention.

“This incident will undoubtedly have caused concern in the local community and officers will be carrying out extra patrols of the area and I’d like to reassure the public that everything possible is being done to trace whoever is responsible.”

Anyone with information is urged to call 101 quoting reference 3819 of December 31. Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in