A dog and five kittens were killed in a house fire in Fife that left a mum and her five-year-old son in an induced coma.
Emergency services were called to the blaze at Frederick Crescent, Dunfermline, at around 3.23am on Wednesday.
A woman and three children were rescued from the property, however STV News has now learned that the family’s pet dog, Lola, and five kittens lost their lives inside.
Relative, Nicola Mcvay, 49, said one of the children has since been released from hospital, but two remain in intensive care along with their mum as they recover from the effects of the blaze.
She said: “Kayleigh is still in the Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy.
“She is still on oxygen but she came out of her induced coma on Saturday.
“Her five-year-old is still in hospital; he has also just come out of an induced coma. He was just allowed to eat last night.
“Her seven-year-old has an infection still, and we don’t know exactly what it is yet. She’s to go for an X-ray today.
“Her eleven-year-old is OK, she got treated for smoke inhalation but is fine now.
“The cat survived, but the kittens and family dog, Lola, are gone.”
Ms Mcvay said the family is currently feeling “raw” after the blaze, but has thanked those who have helped in the aftermath.
She added: “It’s all still a bit raw. We just lost our mum, and we could have lost Kayleigh and the kids.
“They have wee bits and bobs left but everything Kayleigh owned is gone.
“Everyone has pulled together though. The kids’ primary school donated clothes, and other wee bits.
“Every little bit helps.”
A GoFundMe page has since been launched by family friend, Stephanie Gamble, to help the family recover from the fire, and has so far raised over £5000.
The fundraiser reads: “We are fundraising to try and raise as much money as possible to get our friend back on her feet after a tragic house fire.
“Thankfully Kayleigh and her three young children managed to escape the house fire alive, but with what became life threatening injuries.
“Kayleigh and two of the babies are still currently in the ICU departments.
“Unfortunately, her family home is now destroyed, apart from a few small items, nothing was salvageable, this now means Kayleigh needs to start from scratch, all her life possessions are gone including her family dog, Lola, and five little kittens.
“Kayleigh’s family and friends are of course absolutely devastated by the incident and would be very grateful and thankful if you could donate to this unfortunate cause.
“Let’s help Kayleigh her babies together as one big community.”
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 3.23am on Wednesday April 6 to reports of a fire affecting a building in Frederick Crescent, Dunfermline.
“Operations control immediately mobilised four fire engines and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire.
“Four casualties were handed over to the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service.
“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country