Man caught on camera murdering stepfather with claw hammer jailed

Dean Martin attacked Keith Allan at his home in Bathgate in July 2021.

Dean Martin murdered stepdad Keith Allan with a claw hammer at Bathgate home in West Lothian Google Maps

A man caught on camera murdering his stepfather has been jailed for at least 17 years.

Dean Martin carried out the “merciless” hammer attack on Keith Allan, hitting the 42-year-old at least 15 times.

Two children cowered upstairs in terror as the 33-year-old struck at the house in Bathgate, West Lothian last July 5.

Martin blamed Mr Allan for his mother’s death despite there being no evidence that was true.

The killer returned to the High Court in Glasgow on Thursday having admitted to a murder charge in April.

Jailing him for life, Lord Matthews cut the minimum sentence from 20 years due to the guilty plea.

Sentencing, the judge also paid tribute to the two children scarred by what happened.

Lord Matthews told Martin: “They were in the house at the time of this merciless attack.

“I have read victim impact statements and they are heart-rending.

“The 13-year-old boy heard what was happening and felt guilty that he did not stop the attack.

“In truth, the only person guilty was you and, hopefully in time, the boy will be able to come to terms with that.

“As a matter of fact, he bravely did his best to make sure the little girl could not see or hear what was going on.

“He also had the presence of mind to call for help.”

Mr Allan had been married to Martin’s mother Christina Allan for 16 years.

But, she took her own life on June 9, just weeks before the killing.

Prosecutor Mark Mohammed said Martin “formed the belief” that Mr Allan was responsible for what happened.

Despite that, on July 1, Martin moved in with Mr Allan having split from his partner.

But, the hearing was told they went on to “argue frequently”.

On the afternoon of the murder, Mr Allan told a woman he was “struggling” with Martin living at the house.

However, he decided to give his step-son “one more night”.

Just hours later, Martin went on to kill Mr Allan, striking him at least 15 times with a hammer.

Two children upstairs had initially been alerted to Mr Allan shouting: “What are you doing to me?”

Martin screamed back: “You should not have done that to my mum.”

One of the children was described as “hyperventilating” as he phoned for help.

Mr Allan managed to crawl to the front door despite being under attack.

One neighbour then tried to step in.

But, Mr Mohammed told the hearing: “Keith Allan repeatedly shouted ‘help me’.

“Martin shouted to the man, ‘it is ok. It has got nothing to do with you’.”

A retired police officer also tried to intervene. He spotted Mr Allan lying “half in and half out” the front door covered in blood.

A mobile phone clip of the brutal attack was played at the hearing in April.

At the time, Martin refused to look at the screen and sat with his head in his hands in the dock.

The court heard how Martin then called his ex-partner after the killing stating: “I’ve just done him. I’m really sorry. 

“My mum told me to do it. He killed my mother.”

Mr Allan did not survive the attack having suffered “extensive head injuries”.

A claw hammer was found by police hanging from a fence at the front door.

Jim Keegan QC, defending, said: “His belief was Keith Allan killed his mother.

“That is not supported by any evidence whatsoever. The video played showed a vicious attack in front of an assembly of people.

“He will not accept that his mother committed suicide and he maintains that belief.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code