Cinema evacuated after 'toilet roll set on fire' in bathroom

Bathgate Cinema said lives were put 'at risk' following the incident on Saturday evening.

Bathgate cinema evacuated after ‘toilet roll set on fire’ in bathroom © Google Maps 2024

A cinema in Bathgate was forced to evacuate after a toilet roll was set on fire in a bathroom.

Emergency services were called to the independently run cinema at around 8pm on Saturday, and the fire was successfully extinguished.

The cinema took to social media, where it revealed that the fire alarm was set off after a “group of boys entered the premises and set a toilet roll on fire”.

They blasted the offenders, saying they “put people’s lives at risk”.

The full statement read: “Unfortunately, we have had arson in our cinema this evening.

“A group of boys have entered the premises and set a toilet roll on fire in the boy’s toilets and left.

“This has caused our fire alarm to go off and we have had to evacuate our customers from the building.

“Fire brigade have had to come out and put the fire out, and police have been out and we have face recognition and CCTV of the culprits which has been passed on to the police.

“We are an independently run business and it’s really upsetting that people have done this, putting people’s lives at risk not to mention damages and loss of money.

“Apologies to anyone who came to the cinema this evening and had to leave. Keep your tickets to use for another showing or message the page if you don’t have them.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 8pm on Saturday, October 28, 2023, officers received a report of a fire at a premises on George Street, Bathgate.

“Enquiries are ongoing.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code