The brother of man who was killed in a head-on crash caused by a stolen car said he doesn’t know how the driver can live with himself.
Jonny Smith, 29, died after his Peugeot 206 was hit by another car as it swerved to avoid a Audi A3 on Maybury Road in Edinburgh.
His car burst into flames after the horror collision, which happened around 12.30am on Friday May 25.
But almost three months on the driver of the Audi – registration SM17 EAK – remains at large.
And Mr Smith’s brother Callum, 25, cannot comprehend how he can cope with his guilt.
He told STV News: “It is frustrating that there is someone out there going about their life knowing fine well what they have done, sitting there without a conscience knowing that they have taken a life off this planet.
“They have sentenced my mum and dad to every day for the rest of their life at the cemetery.
“My little sister is only going to grow up with childhood memories of him.”
The family are also campaigning for a central reservation on the road to prevent head-on crashes and have a meeting coming up with Edinburgh City Council.
Mr Smith added: “We know that if he was here he would never stop fighting so neither will we fight all the way until we get justice and that road fixed so that it cannot happen to anyone else.”
On the night he died Jonny had helped to fix Callum’s computer.
The brothers spoke about the following month’s World Cup in Russia and Jonny tipped eventual winners France to triumph.
They parted company just after midnight on May 25 and Callum never saw him again.
He also revealed Jonny was about to start a new chapter in his life when he was killed.
Callum said: “He was saving up for a year for a mortgage.
“He was about a month away from getting his own place.”
Callum paid tribute to his brother and described him as a laid back character who was a patriotic Scot and happy in his own company.
And while he said no jail term can come close to the family’s life sentence he hopes the road safety campaign will give them some comfort.
Callum added: “We can’t bring Jonny back but if we can help save other people then the future then that is what we will do.”
Detective inspector Graham Grant said: “The investigation into the fatal road collision at the Maybury Roundabout during the early hours of Friday 25th May is ongoing and we will continue to provide the family of Jonathan Smith with all the necessary support and assistance they require.
“Officers will also keep the family fully informed as to the progress of this inquiry.”
Nicola Sturgeon has said Scotland is likely to relax quarantine for people arriving from “low-risk” countries.
But she branded the UK Government’s decision-making process on air bridges “shambolic”.
The First Minister said it had been “challenging” for Scotland to come to a position on proposals to lift quarantine restrictions on those flying into the country from other parts of the world.
The 14-day self-isolation policy for people returning to or visiting England from destinations such as Spain, France, Italy and Germany has been lifted by the UK Government.
But Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have not agreed to the plans.
Sturgeon said: “When so much is at stake as it is right now we can’t allow ourselves to be dragged along in the wake of, to be quite frank about it, another government’s shambolic decision process.
“We want to welcome visitors again from around the world and we also want to allow our own citizens to travel.
“We also want, if possible for obvious practical reasons, to have alignment on these matters with the rest of the UK.”
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office will also exempt a number of countries from its advisory against all non-essential travel, which has been in place since March 17 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The change in travel advice for England comes into force on Saturday, while the quarantine policy will be amended from July 10.
The First Minister said it was “very likely” that the Scottish Government will be able to agree the low-risk countries on the air bridge list over the next few days.
Sturgeon said: “I think I can say now it is likely, very likely, that we will be able to agree the list of countries the UK has categorised as low-risk, although we will need to do a proper assessment of that.
“But we need to take some particular care in our assessment of the risk categorised as medium-risk, because that is where there may be some countries that have a higher prevalence of the virus than Scotland does right now.”
She said she hoped a decision could be made “quickly”.
Transport secretary Grant Shapps told STV News he doesn’t blame the Scottish Government following the delay of the UK Government’s release of its full list of countries that will be exempt from quarantine.
Instead, he believes any issues could be resolved ahead of July 10 when the new rules come into force.
He said: “I wouldn’t blame anybody for it, but I said on Monday that I would be announcing this later in the week and I know every day people are saying ‘when’s the list coming out?’ and I did want to just hold back to see if we could get the four nations all signed up at the same time.
“That may well still happen because the date of this is July 10.
“So although the list is coming out today, from July 10 you won’t need to quarantine for 14 days if returning from any of these countries and territories on the list.
“So, it’s up to Scotland of course to decide – Wales, Northern Ireland – they all have their own processes and decisions to go through.”
It was also revealed at the Scottish Government’s daily briefing that one further person has died in Scotland after being diagnosed with coronavirus.
The official death toll in Scotland stands at 2488, however weekly figures on suspected Covid-19 deaths suggest the most up-to-date total is now more than 4100.
Sturgeon stated that total confirmed cases of the virus has risen to 18,276 – a jump of 12 in the last 24 hours.
Nicola Sturgeon is urging Scots desperate for a summer holiday to book ‘staycations’ to bolster the country’s tourism sector.
The First Minister said taking a break in Scotland this year would help the industry at “a time when they have probably never needed that support more” due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Speaking at the Scottish Government’s daily press briefing on Friday, Sturgeon said: “If you are desperate to book a summer holiday – and if you are that would be entirely understandable – why not think about booking it in Scotland this year and giving some support to our own tourism sector at a time when they have probably never needed that support more.”
Hearts and Partick Thistle have been told that their fight against relegation must go to arbitration and will not be heard by the Court of Session.
The clubs were told that an arbitration panel convened by the Scottish Football Association should consider the case.
The clubs had taken legal action after they were relegated when Scottish Professional Football League member clubs voted to cut short the 2019/20 season and decide prizes, promotion and relegation on a point-per-game basis.
Hearts and Thistle sought to cancel that ruling.
Lawyers for both the SPFL and promoted clubs Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers argued that football rules showed that the clubs were bound to go to arbitration before any court action.
After hearing evidence from all parties over the past three days, Lord Clark ruled that the matter should be heard by a Hampden arbitration panel.
A motion from the promoted clubs to dismiss the court proceedings entirely was dismissed.
Hearts and Thistle’s QC David Thomson was successful in a move to recover documents from both the league and three champion clubs to help prepare their case.
Lord Clark said in his ruling: “I accept entirely, as Mr Thomson submitted, that the media and the general public have a great interest in this dispute and would prefer to have the issues aired in open court.
“However, as a matter of law, the parties have agreed to the terms of SFA articles of association and to be bound by them.
“Accordingly, SPFL and Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers are entitled to invoke the arbitration provisions within these articles of association of the SFA, which will result in the dispute being dealt with by arbitration.
“I am not entitled as a matter of law to refuse the application to sist on the grounds that the interest of public in the dispute should override the agreement reached by the parties.”
The Premiership season is set to start on August 1 but Lord Clark said he trusted that arbitration could begin quickly.
“During the hearing I raised questions about whether the arbitration procedure will be able to determine this matter before August 1,” he said.
“While, for obvious reasons, I have not been given any absolute assurances on this matter, senior counsel for the SPFL and for Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers have each submitted that there is no reason to conclude that the matter cannot be dealt with in arbitration before August 1 and indeed, as I understood it, that their clients are reasonably confident that it can be.”
A spokesman for the SPFL said: “We welcome today’s decision at the Court of Session that this case should be dealt with under the Scottish FA’s arbitration process. We will now prepare for the Scottish FA arbitration.”
Hearts and Partick Thisle issued a joint statement after the ruling.
It read: “After three days of detailed and complex submissions, Heart of Midlothian and Partick Thistle today learned the outcome of our preliminary hearing in the Court of Session, presided over by Lord Clark.
“It is important to note that this was only to determine how to proceed.
“Lord Clark found in our favour in two motions while we were unsuccessful in one. While denied the opportunity for a public hearing in Court this simply means we now pursue the same outcome in a different forum.
“Importantly, we were successful in the motion to get access to a number of documents that will be key to support our case in arbitration.
“Both clubs are also pleased to have received a fair hearing and feel it important to point to Lord Clark’s words that: “I do not blame the petitioners for not raising proceedings or seeking arbitration whilst that important and potentially crucial alternative [of reconstruction] was available and was actively being facilitated by the SPFL.”
“We promised our supporters that we would fight for them and we shall continue to do so.
“Neither club will be making any further comment today. “
Customers are being urged to not smoke or vape while queuing to enter shops.
Scotland’s interim chief medical officer Dr Gregor Smith has written to retail industry bodies asking for signs to be erected outside shops.
He pointed to public concerns over the spread of coronavirus, however acknowledged there was no evidence to suggest Covid-19 could be transmitted through smoking or vaping.
Dr Smith wrote: “The Scottish Government would like to request that retailers take steps to discourage people from smoking or vaping whilst waiting in queues to enter premises.
“This request follows a significant volume of correspondence received by ourselves from concerned members of the public around the practice by a minority of people.”
The letter acknowledges there is no scientific evidence to suggest that Covid-19 can be spread through smoke and vape drift.
But Dr Smith said a response was necessary as the issue has been raised as a public concern, over and above the fact that many find the passive inhaling of tobacco or vape drift unpleasant.
Huge queues formed outside retailers in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen this week after non-essential shops were allowed to reopen for business.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon urged shoppers to act responsibly and not to “squander” virus progress as more shops reopen.
She tweeted: “If you plan on visiting shops today, please do so responsibly.”
Dr Smith said the Scottish Government was working with Scottish Trading Standards, the Scottish Retailers Consortium, and Scottish Grocers Federation.
He wrote: “I, therefore, ask for your support to consider placing signs or notices outside your premises to encourage individuals not to smoke or vape whilst waiting in queues, for the consideration and comfort of others.”
When a Sudanese asylum seeker stabbed six people before being shot dead by police one week ago today, the horror put a spotlight on those who dream of calling Scotland home.
Badreddin Abadlla Adam, 28, was one of 100 asylum seekers temporarily placed in Glasgow’s Park Inn hotel at the start of coronavirus lockdown in March.
His victims – who include 42-year-old police officer David Whyte – survived.
But delays to the asylum process are being blamed for causing additional strain on vulnerable people, many of whom are fleeing war, violence and persecution in their homelands.
Adam’s death came two months after a 30-year-old Syrian man’s suspected suicide in another central Glasgow hotel.
Campaigners say the Home Office must deal with cases more quickly. The process was already prone to delays but, like so much else, has virtually stopped due to lockdown.
Immigration lawyer Andy Bradley told STV News that “a sizeable minority are failed by the system”, blaming Home Office “maladministration” and red tape.
This can leave asylum seekers in a state of limbo for years — often isolated and impoverished; unable to work or begin building a new life.
He added: “If there are lengthy delays this can be sometimes very stressful. Now during that period where they are awaiting a decision, their ability to integrate into Scottish society or Glasgow society is very limited.
“Many asylum seekers just now, they’ve not been able to get any interviews for the past three months or so and that does appear to be adding to the problem.”
When someone seeks asylum in the UK, they undergo an initial screening with an immigration official. They are photographed, have their fingerprints taken and given an asylum registration card.
This is followed by a “substantive” interview in which they must prove why they can’t live in their own country due to persecution because of race, religion, nationality, political views or other criteria such as sexuality.
If successful, the applicant is given leave to remain in the UK for five years, which can become permanent.
Around 40,000 people apply for asylum in the UK each year with just under half of those being successful. The Home Office says a decision is usually made within six months. However, many asylum seekers wait much longer.
One such hopeful is a woman from Namibia. She says she fled from her violent father who was trying to force her to marry one of her cousins.
The woman, who we are calling Venu to protect her identity, has been in Scotland for more than two years but has not had a substantive interview – possibly due to a lack of translators who speak her Otjiherero language.
Venu is heartbroken at being forced to leave behind her seven-year-old daughter. She also feels guilty as she can’t open a UK bank account to send money to the friend caring for her daughter.
In broken English, she told STV News: “I don’t know what’s going to happen next. I’m really stressed. I’m suffering from depression.
“You have to support your child, you have to support yourself. It’s very hard, I’m telling you. I want to bring my baby and my friend, I miss them very much.”
Another asylum seeker we have spoken to says that if she was forced to return home, it would likely result in her being murdered due to her political activity.
The woman, who we are calling Leena, fled after she and her son were allegedly targeted by armed gunman in her home nation in south-east Asia.
They have been in the UK for more than three years while their lives have been at a standstill — unable to get a job or contribute to society.
They are appealing against a Home Office decision to reject their asylum bid, on the grounds they could not provide sufficient evidence.
She said: “So I don’t know what to do in that situation. I can’t be filming, I can’t be taking photos. That kind of evidence the Home Office want.
“We quickly pack everything and we run away and flee to Scotland. We can contribute a lot to the country and also can help to lift up the economy by paying tax, by helping I don’t know why the Home Office does not want to consider all these things.”
Others experience hostility and racism — with the Park Inn attack heightening tensions.
Hekma Yagoub, from Sudan, has been in Glasgow for more than two years and has won the right to remain. Since last week’s attack she and her friends avoid going into the city centre.
She added: “Personally I don’t feel safe. Normally I cycle around Glasgow and I feel I need to take extra precautions just to do that. Normally, for example, I don’t take my phone with me.
“But now I think twice before I plan to go out and obviously this is because of this incident.”
While the Park Inn remains a crime scene, the 100 asylum seekers who were staying there have been placed in another hotel by Mears Group — the company that was paid by the Home Office to house and support those seeking asylum. Mears Group declined to comment.
Asked about asylum delays, a Home Office spokesperson said: “Due to the coronavirus outbreak, some decisions have been delayed but we are continuing to make decisions where we have sufficient information.
“We have put in place a range of measures to support asylum seekers during this time.”
The Home Office also reject some campaigners’ accusations that putting asylum seekers in hotels during lockdown is similar to being imprisoned, saying they would be “destitute” but are provided with “free, fully furnished accommodation while applications are considered”.
They added: “Like everyone else in the country during the coronavirus outbreak, asylum seekers have been asked to stay where they are and to follow social distancing to help fight the spread.
“As such, throughout the coronavirus outbreak, we have put in a range of measures to support asylum seekers who are affected, including standing up accommodation.”