Food retailer Waitrose has lodged plans to open its eighth supermarket in Scotland.
The company has lodged a pre-application notice with South Ayrshire Council for a 3437sqm store which could create 180 jobs.
The store would be located adjacent to the Dobbies garden centre and would be its first presence in Ayrshire - the nearest one is in Newton Mearns. The other stores in Scotland include one in Helensburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and two in Edinburgh.
Central Ayrshire MP Brian Donohoe welcomed the news. He said: “This is a high-quality food store, which has come on leaps and bounds in recent times and I am sure, given the go ahead, it will become one of the most popular food stores in the area.
“This is great news for the local area given that it is would create around 180 jobs. I look forward to seeing this development come to fruition and welcoming it to my constituency.”
Residents will have the chance to have their say on the application during public exhibitions at the Western House Hotel in the town on Monday November 11 and Tuesday November 12.
People who read this story also read
- Couple 'performed sex act in front of children on Dundee bus'
- Green projects to benefit from £250,000 Ryder Cup investment
- Tattooed man pulled from water sparks police appeal for information
- Dunfermline Athletic facing fresh threat of liquidation after interdict
- Paramedic diverted ambulance to go shopping for computer equipment