Disappointing loss marks start of rugby season for Dalziel

Season starts with Dalziel defeat
Season starts with Dalziel defeat

Dalziel RFS travelled up to Kirkcaldy in search of a win to start the new campaign, after suffering a series of disappointing results during pre-season.

The first 10 minutes of the game set the scene for the rest of the match with a series of messy scrums-despite conditions being good for running rugby with only a slight swirling breeze to contend with.

Early in the game Dalziel defended almost constantly but Simpson traded penalties with Sanft to keep the score at 3-3.

It was all quiet on the Dalziel side but Donnachie sprung into life and made a searing break at the side of a ruck in his own half to take play into the Kirkcaldy 22, but Dalziel were turned over and failed to convert the line break into points.

This seemed to be another theme of the day for the Motherwell men. Throughout the first half Kirkcaldy made good ground into the Dalziel half, particularly through their props who proved to be surprisingly devastating runners and off-loaders.

A good break by the home side’s winger almost lead to the first try of the afternoon but James Baxendale provided a fantastic cover tackle to put the man into touch at the corner flag.

The referee then could have sent off the Kirkcaldy flanker, who allegedly headbutted and punched John Harris after also appearing to stamp on scrum half Donnachie.

This may have changed the game in favour of Dalziel but instead fortune went against Dalziel once again as just before half time Harris was yellow carded for continued team infringements around the ruck area.

The restart for the second half could not have been worse for Dalziel. A penalty was awarded to Kirkcaldy in the Dalziel 22 and the prop took a quick tap and ran in unchallenged to score the first try of the game.

Five minutes later Baxendale then provided another try saving tackle after Dalziel were once again turned over on the half way line and the Fife side broke loose down the right wing.

From the resultant line out, Kirkcaldy stole the ball and moved it wide for the winger to seemingly score in the corner, but he was adjudged to have knocked the ball on over the line - another lucky escape for the Motherwell men.

Kirkcaldy did however, turn this pressure into points after another penalty was awarded to them, and three phases later their lock bowled over a couple of defenders to score a try. The conversion was successful.

Later in play, a gap in the Kirkcaldy defence allowed Harris to break through and offload to centre partner Duguid which meant Simpson could round the last defender and offload to Baxendale to score in the corner.

A few great offloads by Watters then built up some good phases for Dalziel, probing into the Kirkcaldy half, but again a turnover meant they failed to come away with points.

The opposition prop then scored another try from a run at the front of a lineout 5 metres out from the Dalziel tryline, to put Kirkcaldy 25-8 ahead with not long to go.

The last 10 to 15 minutes of the game saw the Dalziel boys throw the ball around a bit more, and some magnificent offloading provided good go-forward ball with which they could get over the gain line and beat defenders.

This lead to a great pass into space by Duguid for Simpson to run onto and stand up his opposite number to score late try to take the final score to 25-13 in favour of the home side.

Dalziel RFC Les Barclay, Stephen Baird, George Sloan, Craig Simmonds, Kris Watters, Dougie Picken, Gavin Armstrong, Crawford Reid, Ross Donnachie, Andy Scott, James Baxendale, John Harris, Gillon Duguid, Grant McCallum, Robert Simpson Subs David Irvine, Euan Stewart, John Morrissey, Ross Westwood

More About Dalziel Rugby Club