Aberdeen fans breached peace in clash with Rangers supporters

Clashes: Four fans were arrested after the incident near Ibrox on Saturday afternoon.
Clashes: The three Aberdeen fans were involved in disorder before the match.© Jambo Strachan

Three Aberdeen fans breached the peace in a clash with Rangers supporters at Ibrox Subway Station before a match.

Stanley Thain, 46, and Ivan Bridge, 41, admitted forming part of a disorderly crowd, engaging in and challenging others to fight.

Gary Leys, 37, admitted an amended charge of shouting and swearing and repeatedly trying to breach a police cordon during the incident before Aberdeen’s game against Rangers at Ibrox earlier this year.

Three other accused, Kevin Moggach, 43, Raymond Whetherly, 35, and Gary Lawson, 30, had their not guilty pleas accepted by the Crown on the day the six men were due to stand trial.

Glasgow Sheriff Court was told Thain, Bridge and Leys were part of a group of Aberdeen fans who got off the subway at Cessnock Station, where the disorder flared as Rangers supporters also headed to the game.

Procurator fiscal depute Joe Stewart said: "The three accused are Aberdeen supporters and in fact did attend the match after this incident."

He added: "It was obvious from the CCTV and the police that some of the Aberdeen supporters were in an agitated state. Some of them were shouting and waving their hands."

The court heard that the fans clashed close to Ibrox Station on Copland Road around 20 minutes before kick-off.

Mr Stewart said Thain, of Aberdeen, can be seen on CCTV charging forward with numerous fans towards the Rangers supporters and lashing out. He is described as "retreating" when the mounted branch of the police become involved.

Bridge, of West Kilbride, Ayrshire, was at the front of the crowd of fans engaging in a fight and lunging towards others, swinging his arms, before moving back when the police intervened.

Mr Stewart said Leys, of Aberdeen, walked up and down the police cordon and repeatedly tried to breach it and push his way past the officers. The fans were then escorted to the game by police.

Martin Lavery, defending Bridge, told the court that his client, who works in the oil industry, was hit by a Rangers fan and reacted to that. He added that the CCTV footage showed him holding his left eye.

He continued: "Mr Bridge remained in the ground until half time when he was so disgusted by what happened he left."

It was said on behalf of Leys that he "panicked" and that his conduct was unacceptable. Sheriff Ian Miller deferred sentence on the trio until next month for reports.

Related articles

People who read this story also read