Police officer shot dead in incident at Baird Street station

A police officer has died in a shooting incident at Baird Street station in Glasgow.

Officers called for an ambulance at 11am on Monday which attended the scene and left shortly before 2pm.

Constable Rod Gellatly was pronounced dead at the scene after a firearm was discharged, Strathclyde Police confirmed.

Lothian and Borders Police have been called in to investigate the death of the 41-year-old.

A Strathclyde Police spokesman said earlier: "We can confirm there was an incident at Baird Street Police Office on Monday 5 November, 2012 where a firearm was discharged.

"This resulted in the death of a serving Strathclyde Police Officer. A full investigation into the circumstances is currently under way and a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

"As in accordance with ACPOS guidelines, officers from an independent force [Lothian and Borders Police] have been appointed to oversee the investigation."

It is understood that the officer killed himself in the station and no one else is being sought in connection with the death.

Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins, Strathclyde Police, said: "It is with great sadness that I confirm a serving Strathclyde Police Officer died today, Monday November 5, in an incident where a firearm was discharged at Baird Street Police Office.

"A full investigation into the circumstances is currently under way and a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal. Our thoughts are with the officer's family and friends at this difficult time."'

The Scottish Police Federation (SPF) paid tribute to the officer.

Brian Docherty, federation chairman, said: "We can confirm that one of our colleagues has died following a firearms incident in Baird Street police station this morning. It is too early to speculate as to the circumstances surrounding the tragic death and our thoughts turn immediately to his family who have lost their loved one and colleagues who have lost a friend."

Baird Street is located in the Sighthill area of Glasgow and houses a police firearms unit. The road was not closed during the incident, while officers stood guard at the entrance of the station throughout Monday.

A Scottish Government spokesman said: "This was a tragic incident, and our condolences are with the family and colleagues of the officer involved. It is now a matter for police to investigate this incident fully."

Police officers in Scotland have been shot in the line of duty in the past. Constable John Cunningham was left with 200 pellets in his body when a teenage gunman walked into Shettleston Police Station in July 2003 with a sawn-off shotgun. Paul Murray, who was 19 at the time, fired both barrels into Constable Cunningham, hitting him in the torso.

The officer survived the attack. Murray was initially jailed for ten years but appeal judges deemed that sentence too lenient and increased it to life imprisonment in August 2004.

The last police officers to be shot and killed were Constable Edward Barnett and Acting Detective Constable Angus MacKenzie. The two officers were shot by bankrobber Howard Wilson on December 30, 1969. Acting Detective Constable MacKenzie died at the scene while Constable Barnett succumbed to his wounds on January 4, 1970.

Feedback: We want your feedback on our site. If you've got questions, spotted an inaccuracy or just want to share some ideas about our news service, please email us on web@stv.tv.

Download: The STV News app is Scotland's favourite and is available for iPhone from the Apple store and for Android from Google Play. Download it today and continue to enjoy STV News wherever you are.

Join in: For debate, chat, comment and more, join our communities on the STV News Facebook page or follow @STVNews on Twitter.

View Baird Street Police Station locator in a larger map

People who read this story also read