Five young children have been admitted to hospital so far this year after mistaking liquid dishwasher tablets for jelly sweets.
Doctors at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow have launched a campaign to warn parents of the dangers of tablets used in dishwashers and washing machines after a sudden rise in cases.
All of the incidents could have had fatal consequences were it not for the quick actions of medical staff.
Dr Lyndsay Fraser, from the hospital's ear nose and throat unit, said: "We have known for some time about the risk of eye injuries from kids squeezing these Liquitabs until they burst. What we have seen more recently is that children are biting into the tablets, presumably because they think they are sweets as they have the same soft texture and bright colouring.
"The alkaline chemicals in the liquitab cause an immediate chemical burn, causing breathing problems as the airway starts to swell rapidly. Getting them to hospital straight away is imperative.
"In most of the cases seen so far we have had to insert a breathing tube to protect the child's airway from the swelling and help them breathe. If these children hadn't reached A&E on time, the airway could close over completely with potentially fatal consequences.
"Once the breathing tube has been inserted, children can be on a ventilator for anything up to two weeks whilst the swelling settles and one child so far has required further surgery to repair the damage caused by the liquitab.
"It really is only good fortune that we haven't seen a death resulting from this type of injury."
Staff at Glasgow's Royal Hospital for Sick Children have been alarmed by the number of children recently admitted as emergencies to the hospital and have published a letter in the Archives of Diseases in Childhood to alert medical colleagues around the country, as well as parents, to the dangers of liquid tablets.
Dr Fraser said: "Liquitabs are attractive to young children due to their bright colouring and soft texture. Toddlers are naturally inquisitive and commonly like to place objects in their mouths. Most Liquitab brands do not come packaged in childproof containers so it is easy to access to them especially if they are left within reach and sight of young children or toddlers.
"Most parents are not aware of the dangers of these common household items, commonly storing them in unlocked cupboards within potential reach of their child.
"It is important parents realise that these liquid capsules are dangerous chemicals and they should be kept locked away so children can't reach them. They must be stored safely at all times, out of reach and sight of young children. Wherever possible and as with all household cleaning products and bleaches they should be stored in a locked cupboard or in a cupboard that cannot be accessed by children."
One parent who learned firsthand the dangers of liquid cleaning capsules is Shannon Hutchison. Her daughter, Orla, was just seven months old when she had to be taken to Yorkhill's A&E department after eating a liquid tablet.
Ms Hutchison explained: "Orla was at my sister's house playing with my two-year-old nephew who managed to get hold of one of these. He thought it was a sweetie because it was bright and like a jelly so he gave it to Orla. who bit into it.
"Immediately we realised there was a problem as she was going in and out of consciousness so phoned an ambulance right away, it was terrifying. I'm just so lucky to still have my little girl."
Orla was rushed to intensive care and spent ten days in hospital. Since the incident, Ms Hutchison says she's much more careful about where all her family are keeping cleaning products.
Ms Hutchison added: "To kids they do look like bright sweeties and they are not in a sealed box, kids can get into them so easily and I had no idea what could happen until I saw what happened to Orla.
"When we got to hospital the doctors told me they see this two or three a year. Now I make sure that all the Liquitabs are locked away and I tell everyone to do the same.
"The boxes they come in really should be childproof and I hope manufacturers do something about this as I wouldn't want this to happen to any other little girl or boy."
People who read this story also read
- Man scalded victim with boiling water and set him alight in attack
- Could the cost of a school uniform vary by £70 around the country? [Data]
- Irn-Bru makers in merger talks with Tango drink rivals Britvic
- Man collapses and dies while cycling around country park
- 76-year-old suffered minor injuries after plane missed runway