An elderly man was found dead outside a secondary school in Angus in freezing temperatures.
Robert Johnston, 79, from the Panmurefield area, was found outside Monifieth High School, at around 5.20am on Wednesday. Police said he was also known locally as Grahame.
A passer-by called 999, but the pensioner had already died by the time ambulance crews arrived five minutes later.
Police are now investigating the possibility that the man may have fallen and succumbed to the cold as temperatures plummeted.
Sergeant Steve Rose, of Tayside Police, said: "An elderly gentleman was found dead in the early hours of Wednesday but there does not appear to be anything suspicious at this time.
"The family has been informed and we are still waiting on the doctor coming out to see exactly what has happened."
Police cordoned off the area and erected a blue tent around where the man's body was found.
A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said the man's age had not been confirmed, but that he was believed to be in his late 70s or early 80s.
He said: "We received a call at 5.21am from a mobile phone number reporting that they had come across an unconscious male on the path by Monifieth High School on Panmurefield Road. He wasn't breathing.
"An ambulance crew arrived at 5.25am and confirmed it was a sudden death and police were informed."
A Tayside Police spokeswoman added: "Tayside Police can confirm officers attended in Panmurefield Road in Monifieth following a report of a sudden death of an elderly man. Inquiries are continuing."
She added that a report would be submitted to the procurator fiscal.
Your report: If you have information on this or any other story, please let us know. You can send information, pictures to email@example.com or call us on 01382 591016.
Feedback: We want your feedback on our site. If you've got questions, spotted an inaccuracy or just want to share some ideas about our news service, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
More About Weather
- Weather warning issued for snow and ice across all of Scotland
- Woman found unconscious in forest during blizzard by hero search dog
- Snow warning as Met Office fears midweek storm will disrupt travel
- Motorists urged to take care as icy conditions hit rush hour traffic
- Public warned of difficult travel conditions as snow hits west coast
- Woman fighting for life after sledging accident in Kelvingrove Park
- Passenger plane careers off runway at Highland airport after landing
People who read this story also read
- Missing 16-year-old Aberdeen man found safe and well
- B&Q attempted murder trial delayed due to emigrating witness
- Scotland warned to 'be prepared' as heavy snow and sleet forecast
- Highland polar bears mark first birthdays together in Scotland
- Overnight snow causes roads chaos and school closures in north-east