A 34-year-old man was taken to hospital with head and body injuries after he was attacked in Dundee.
Tayside Police said the victim was seriously assaulted by two men in the city's Earn Crescent at around 1am on Sunday.
A force spokeswoman said officers were keen to speak to the drivers or occupants of a silver Vauxhall taxi and a black-coloured taxi that were in Charleston Drive near to the footpath of Earn Crescent at the time of the incident.
The attackers are described as being 20 to 30-years-old. One of the men was wearing a light-coloured T-shirt and the other man was wearing a striped top.
Anyone who saw the incident should contact Tayside Police on 0300 111 2222 or speak to any officer. Alternatively information can be passed anonymously via the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
People who read this story also read
- More than 200 redheads descend on historic castle for 'flashmob' event
- Three-year-old boy dies after falling from window at block of flats
- Is this the picture that proves the Loch Ness monster really exists?
- Arrests in connection with offensive singing at Brechin v Rangers clash
- Facebook user caught selling pirate computer games on social network