One person is missing following an early-morning house fire in Inverness.
Fifteen people were evacuated from properties neighbouring the blaze in Kintail Crescent in the New Hilton area.
Two occupants were traced safe and well at other addresses, but one person has not yet been accounted for.
Highlands and Islands Fire and Rescue Service (HIFRS) was called to the blaze shortly after 2am on Saturday. Two engines arrived at the scene but crews were confronted with a fire of such intensity that they immediately called for additional support.
The fire was eventually extinguished at 4.30am after the efforts of 22 firefighters using four engines and an aerial ladder platform.
Police and fire crews remain at the scene and are trying to local the missing resident. Firefighters are also working to make the building safe after extensive damage.
A spokesman for HIFRS said: “A joint police and fire investigation is being carried out to ascertain the cause of the fire; however one person still remains unaccounted for and Fire and Rescue Service and Police will remain on scene until this investigation is completed.”
The terrace of houses has been cordoned off.
People who read this story also read
- Microlight aircraft crashes at mountain range in southern Highlands
- Woman’s body found in remains of terraced house where fire broke out
- Woman and three children injured after 'serious' crash between car and van
- Driver cut free from vehicle by fire crews after crash on A82
- Ditched helicopter recovered from North Sea and brought ashore