Firefighters were pelted with stones and spat on by a group of youngsters while they attended a fire at a housing estate.
The incident happened in the Whitfield are of Dundee at around 10.15pm on Wednesday.
A floodlight on the front of a fire engine was damaged in the attack and Tayside Fire and Rescue said the windscreen could have been smashed.
The crew were forced to withdraw from Ormiston Crescent after the group of youngsters carried out the attack.
It is thought some of the group were as young as ten years old.
The firefighters from Kingsway fire station has been called to a bin fire and had extinguished the blaze when the attack happened.
People who read this story also read
- One person missing and 15 others evacuated after fire at terraced houses
- Homes and pub evacuated by police following Shetland gas leak
- More than 200 staff laid off as construction firms enter administration
- Man stabbed victim twice in fight over ornamental glass fairies
- Woman driver dies after car hits a tree on busy commuter road