A wallaby is recovering after suffering smoke inhalation during a fire at Edinburgh Zoo.
Barega was overcome after a fire at his temporary enclosure on Tuesday afternoon.
Visitors at the zoo alerted staff when they saw smoke coming from the enclosure at around 4.30pm. Keepers rescued the six-year-old animal, who was the only animal inside at the time, and gave him treatment for smoke inhalation.
Staff managed to put out the flames and Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service attended to cool down the scene.
Barega has since been discharged from the zoo's hospital and is back in his enclosure. He will go back on show to the public on Thursday.
Stuart Jenkinson from Edinburgh Zoo, commented: “There was a small fire where one of our wallabies was being temporarily housed. Members of the public alerted our staff to smoke and our animal keepers acted quickly to remove the wallaby from the enclosure. Our veterinary team treated the animal immediately for minor smoke inhalation.
“Edinburgh Zoo staff used extinguishers to put the fire out, but the fire brigade also attended the scene as a safety measure. The wallaby has been moved to our on-site animal hospital as a precaution, but is doing very well.
“Both Edinburgh Zoo and the local fire brigade are working together to identify the cause of the fire.”
No human beings were injured in the incident.
People who read this story also read
- Confused barn owl discovered sitting in plant pot at football stadium
- Couple scoops £850,000 after matching six balls on the lottery
- Rangers administrators 'could sell off club's assets' to keep it alive
- Shop assistant threatened by man with knife in robbery attempt
- Missing 10-year-old girl is found safe and well in Edinburgh