The death of a man at a house in Dundee is being treated as murder.
Officers were called to an address on Mossgiel Crescent at 10.17pm by the Scottish Ambulance Service following reports a man had been attacked.
The police officer leading inquiries to trace the killer of a 63-year-old Dundee man has appealed to people who knew the victim to contact police.
John Kennedy has been described as suffering a "vicious and frenzied" attack at his home in the city's Mossgiel Crescent.
His body was found at around 10.17pm on Sunday.
Detective Inspector Gary Ogilvie confirmed that inquiries so far had revealed that Mr Kennedy sold cigarettes and tobacco from his home.
Mr Kennedy's body is still to be formally identified but he has been named locally.
Emergency services were alerted by neighbours who had heard a disturbance at the address in Mossgiel Crescent at about 10.15pm on Sunday.
They found Mr Kennedy with serious injuries and despite their efforts he was pronounced dead at the scene.
DI Ogilvie said:‘‘Through the early course of our enquiries we have established that the deceased was a well-known and well-liked man and also that he was involved in selling tobacco and cigarettes from his home address.
‘‘It’s important to state that while this has come to our attention, it is not the focus of our enquiry. This is a murder enquiry and we want information that assists us in finding Mr Kennedy’s killer, nothing more.
‘‘We know that there were many people that came and went from his house to buy tobacco and cigarettes and we are appealing to them to come forward and tell us what they know in relation to who they knew was a frequent visitor to that address.
‘‘Most importantly, we want to know who was at that address on the day Mr Kennedy was murdered. He was last seen late on Sunday morning and the alarm was raised at about 10.15 that night as a man in a dark hooded top was seen leaving the area.
‘‘We still need to trace him and to speak with anyone who was at that address or in the area that day as we continue to build an accurate picture of Sunday’s events.’’
Householders within its perimeter of the murder inquiry have been unable to move their vehicles due to officers protecting the scene and continued search activity. But steps are being taken during to day that will enable residents to move their cars outside the cordon.
Scenes of Crime Officers are continuing their forensic examination at the address and officers are carrying out further door-to-door enquiries.
Tayside Police confirmed officers were searching open land, gardens, outhouses, garages and bins as well as elsewhere wherever appropriate to the investigation. The force has also asked residents to check their own property and report anything amiss or out of place.
A review of CCTV coverage also continues and the force has also asked for anyone with private CCTV in the surrounding area to contact them as it might hold information useful to enquiries.
The Home Office Large Major Enquiry System (HOLMES) continues to operate in support of the investigation.
DI Ogilvie added:‘‘Somebody knows who has done this. It may very well be that the person responsible has confided in someone they know. I would remind them that a well-liked 63-year-old man has been killed as a result of a vicious and frenzied attack and that the person responsible should face the full force of law.
‘‘It is highly likely that the person responsible was in a very agitated or in an anxious state, after what they have done and it is unlikely that their demeanour will change. If you know who has done this, do the right thing and contact the police.’’
DI Ogilvie earlier described the murder as "sustained and brutal".
He said: "I am not prepared to give the intimate details but this was a severe and sustained assault.
"We are still in the process of trying to determine what the motive has been."
Anyone with information relating to the murder is asked to contact Tayside Police on 0300 111 2222.