John Swinney set out his economic vision of independence, highlighting faster sustainable growth with opportunities for all to flourish.
In a keynote speech in Edinburgh the Finance Secretary also confirmed that a sovereign Scotland would keep the British pound.
Unionist critics claim his policy is confused and incoherent.
Scotland Tonight discussed his comments with SNP MSP Jamie Hepburn and Scottish Labour's Finance spokesman Ken Macintosh.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Nicola Sturgeon and Michael Moore clash in independence debate
- Analysis: Who won the Scotland Tonight debate on independence?
- Debate: Nicola Sturgeon and Michael Moore cross-examine each other
- Currency, oil and debt: The economics of Scottish independence
- Nicola Sturgeon and Michael Moore make their case to viewers
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- What convinced French-born MSP Christian Allard to join the SNP?