John Swinney set out his economic vision of independence, highlighting faster sustainable growth with opportunities for all to flourish.
In a keynote speech in Edinburgh the Finance Secretary also confirmed that a sovereign Scotland would keep the British pound.
Unionist critics claim his policy is confused and incoherent.
Scotland Tonight discussed his comments with SNP MSP Jamie Hepburn and Scottish Labour's Finance spokesman Ken Macintosh.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- How much of a problem is rowdy behaviour at football matches?
- Does STV poll show momentum shifting in favour of independence?
- Scotland Tonight: The life, death and legacy of Nelson Mandela
- Scotland Tonight: Should Grangemouth embrace a future of shale gas?
- Scotland Tonight: Is the Better Together leadership effective?
- Scotland Tonight: Is UKIP north of the border at war with itself?