An 87-year-old man and his 84-year-old wife have died following a serious road accident in Largs.
The couple were crossing the A78 Greenock Road at Nardini's Esplanade Cafe at 9.15am on Saturday when, police say, "they were struck by a red Toyota car".
Emergency services attended the accident and an air ambulance was sent to the scene.
The 84-year-old woman was flown to Glasgow's Southern General Hospital but she succumbed to her injuries a few hours later. Her husband died at the scene of the accident.
A 34-year-old woman who was driving the Toyota sports car was not injured in the accident but was taken to Inverclyde Hospital as a precaution.
A report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.
A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: "Officers from the Divisional Road Policing are appealing for witnesses. Anyone with information can contact Irvine Police Office on 01294 404400 or the non-emergency number 101."
The road was reopened at around 4pm.
People who read this story also read
- Driver cut free from vehicle after three-car crash on coastal road
- Elderly passenger dies and young children injured in road collision
- Vulnerable man reported missing from hospital sparks police search
- Two arrested after police recover drugs worth almost £1m from flat
- Sister of missing woman hands out leaflets to jog public's memory