A man has died in a crash on the A9 in Caithness.
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene of the collision, about three miles north of Spittal, near Thurso, which happened just after 3am.
The road has been closed while accident investigators examine the scene. Local diversions are in place, but heavy goods vehicles are advised to travel to Thurso via the A99 to Wick and the A882.
A second person in the car was taken to Caithness General Hospital for treatment. No other vehicle was involved.
Northern Constabulary said the extent of the survivor's injuries were not known.
More About A9 deaths
- Average speed cameras could be installed on 'Scotland’s deadliest road'
- Fuel spillage after crash between two cars and a lorry on A9
- Couple killed when Harley Davidson crashed on A9 bridge named
- Two killed as Harley-Davidson crashes on Highland bridge
- £3bn project for dualling of notorious A9 road takes step forward
- Lorry filled with cardboard catches fire and closes busy A9 road
- Two people injured after car and motorcycle in collision on A9