Following Cardinal O'Brien's admission on Sunday that his sexual conduct "had fallen beneath the standards" expected of him, Archbishop Tartaglia told a congregation that the scandal has "dealt a serious blow" to "the credibility and moral authority of the Catholic Church in Scotland".
The cardinal is to face a Vatican inquiry once a new Pope is selected after saying that he would not contest the claims of three priests and a former priest of inappropriate behaviour dating back to the 1980s.
The revelation has shocked the Roman Catholic community in Scotland.
Cultural adviser to the Vatican Professor John Haldane, Scotsman journalist Peter MacMahon, Patrick Harvie MSP and Catherine Deveney — the journalist who broke the story of the allegations against Cardinal O'Brien — joined Scotland Tonight to discuss the issues.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Does STV poll show momentum shifting in favour of independence?
- How much of a problem is rowdy behaviour at football matches?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Scotland Tonight: The life, death and legacy of Nelson Mandela
- Scotland Tonight: Should Grangemouth embrace a future of shale gas?
- Scotland Tonight: Is the Better Together leadership effective?
- Scotland Tonight: How does our education system compare globally?