Pensioner treated in hospital after being woken by fire at flat

A pensioner has been taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in his flat.

The 81-year-old was sleeping in his home in Clarence Street in the Stockbridge area of Edinburgh when he was woken up by the smell of smoke.

When he opened the door to his bedroom, he was met by billowing smoke.

Trapped in his room, the pensioner called the fire service at 4.07am on Thursday.

Fire crews used breathing apparatus to rescue the man from his ground floor flat and put out the flames.

He was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Your report: If you have information on this or any other story, please let us know. You can send information, pictures to web@stv.tv or call us on 0141 300 3264.

Feedback: We want your feedback on our site. If you've got questions, spotted an inaccuracy or just want to share some ideas about our news service, please email us on web@stv.tv.