Scotland's transport system has been plunged into chaos with the roads, rails and runways all affected and the Forth Road Bridge closed.
The Forth Road Bridge was closed for the first time in living memory because of snow as blizzard conditions and temperatures went as low as -20C overnight between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.
Edinburgh Airport is closed for the rest of the day, as is Dundee Airport and Gatwick Airport in London.
Traffic Scotland has severe weather warnings across the whole of Scotland. Roads are closed on account of snow, others have slow traffic as a result of motorists driving slowly because of the poor conditions.
While major roads are being gritted, many minor roads across Scotland have not been treated.
Central Scotland Police are warning motorists to stay at home unless necessary after up to five inches of snow fell in some regions overnight.
Chief Inspector Donald McMillan of Central Scotland Road Policing said: " I can really only stress that for the safety of yourself and others, journeys should only to attempted if they are essential."
ScotRail is reporting a significant amount of disruption, with line problems between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh, Cumbernauld and Anniesland, between Stirling and Dunblane, and between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh, Whifflet, Ardrossan and Gourock.
The severe weather is expected to last at least until the weekend. The Forth Road Bridge is closed following of blizzard conditions. A spokesman told STV News it was the first time that this had happened because of snow in living memory.
He said: "No one can remember the bridge being closed by snow before. The amount of snow falling in the night plus a couple of accidents this morning.
He said snow ploughs were working flat out but he did not know when they would get it open again. He added: "One of the problems we have is because we cannot use salt on the bridge because it would corrode the steel. We have to use chemicals which aren't as effective."
- Hundreds of schools shut as cold weather continues
- At a glance - The schools and road closures in your area
- Every school in Glasgow closed
- More snow and ice forecast for week ahead
- Is it snowing yet? Watch live pictures from STV's snowcam
- Edinburgh Zoo penguins become surprise online hit
- GALLERY: Scotland's best snowmen - send us pictures!
- GALLERY: Your snow pictures from around Scotland
FROM STV LOCAL
- Snow covers streets and hits services in Airdrie
- Snow covers streets and hits services in Bellshill
- Scotland's snow from the air - Cumbernauld