The number of young people seeking help about self-harm has risen by almost 90%.
ChildLine in Scotland staff counselled 2174 children last year who said they were deliberately harming themselves.
The number of children counselled about suicide went up to 1728, a rise of almost 40%.
Scotland Tonight discussed the matter in the studio with the head of ChildLine in Scotland, Elaine Chalmers.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Massive increase in food bank users according to poverty charity
- Hannah Miley heads 40-strong Scottish Aquatics team for Glasgow 2014
- Ban gambling and loan adverts in sport says Church of Scotland
- Warning over defence jobs and contracts if Scotland leaves UK
- UK debt share settlement 'key to post-independence economic outlook'
- Scotland Tonight: Schools debate winners share their experiences
- Scotland Tonight talks to Nicola Sturgeon ahead of SNP conference