The number of young people seeking help about self-harm has risen by almost 90%.
ChildLine in Scotland staff counselled 2174 children last year who said they were deliberately harming themselves.
The number of children counselled about suicide went up to 1728, a rise of almost 40%.
Scotland Tonight discussed the matter in the studio with the head of ChildLine in Scotland, Elaine Chalmers.
More About Scotland Tonight
- STV election profile: Alex Salmond's battle to represent Gordon
- SNP manifesto: Party will use influence 'responsibly' to represent UK
- Sturgeon's debate message to Miliband: 'We can deliver real change'
- Labour and SNP deal would mean 'coalition chaos', says Cameron
- Coburn faces questions over Ukip's £5.5bn Scots budget cut plan
- New show from Mark Thomas tells of BAE spy in campaign group
- Patrick Harvie: Fiscal autonomy 'needs a great deal further work'