The number of young people seeking help about self-harm has risen by almost 90%.
ChildLine in Scotland staff counselled 2174 children last year who said they were deliberately harming themselves.
The number of children counselled about suicide went up to 1728, a rise of almost 40%.
Scotland Tonight discussed the matter in the studio with the head of ChildLine in Scotland, Elaine Chalmers.
More About Scotland Tonight
- David Cameron hails the Union as 'greatest merger in history'
- Douglas Alexander says referendum debates has 'divided' Scotland
- Scotland Tonight: Will family politics decide the referendum?
- More than 120 business people back Scotland to stay as part of UK
- Salmond renews call for Cameron debate after victory over Darling
- First Minister and Alistair Darling clash in fiery second TV debate
- Holyrood recess begins as referendum campaigns go into top gear