The number of young people seeking help about self-harm has risen by almost 90%.
ChildLine in Scotland staff counselled 2174 children last year who said they were deliberately harming themselves.
The number of children counselled about suicide went up to 1728, a rise of almost 40%.
Scotland Tonight discussed the matter in the studio with the head of ChildLine in Scotland, Elaine Chalmers.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: The life, death and legacy of Nelson Mandela
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Scotland Tonight: Is the Better Together leadership effective?
- Scotland Tonight: Should Grangemouth embrace a future of shale gas?
- Scotland Tonight: Is UKIP north of the border at war with itself?
- Scotland Tonight: How does our education system compare globally?
- Scotland Tonight: A reflection on the The Clutha helicopter crash