George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Corbyn says Labour will 'learn lessons of the past' in Scotland
- Fiona Hyslop showed 'contempt' over T in the Park funding, claims MSP
- MP Alistair Carmichael to face further trial over Sturgeon memo leak
- Olympic hero Chris Hoy launches mental health sporting initiative
- Police failed to report sighting of missing pensioner later found dead
- Scotland Tonight: Should bridge be recognised as a sport?
- Indycar legend Dario Franchitti promotes motorsport in Scotland