George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Police Scotland chief Sir Stephen House to step down in three months
- Sturgeon calls for radical BBC reform and new Scots TV channel
- Leadership hopeful Andy Burnham backs autonomy for Scots Labour
- Driver could have taken 'reasonable precautions', bin crash FAI told
- Left-wing alliance Rise to campaign on anti-austerity platform
- Kezia Dugdale promises 'fresh start' with business community
- Civil rights campaigner Reverend Jesse Jackson gets honorary degree