George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Bucket list teenager aiming to raise £2m for cancer before he dies
- David Cameron makes St George's Day plea for Scots to stay in UK
- Manchester United announce departure of manager David Moyes
- Independent Scotland's pension bill would be 'three times oil income'
- Scotland Tonight: Interview with Kelpies sculptor Andy Scott
- Scotland Tonight: The critical referendum battle for Labour votes
- Massive increase in food bank users according to poverty charity