George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Sturgeon's debate message to Miliband: 'We can deliver real change'
- Labour and SNP deal would mean 'coalition chaos', says Cameron
- Coburn faces questions over Ukip's £5.5bn Scots budget cut plan
- New show from Mark Thomas tells of BAE spy in campaign group
- Patrick Harvie: Fiscal autonomy 'needs a great deal further work'
- SNP set to wipe out Labour as they widen poll gap after STV debate
- Miliband slams 'deceit and lies' of Tories over SNP Trident claim