George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Will Quebec have another shot at independence?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Scotland Tonight: Celebrated female Labour MP discusses feminism
- Osborne 'not serious' on blocking currency union hears Holyrood
- Cyclist Obree in Commonwealth petition over Uganda's anti-gay laws
- More voters back SNP to rule at Holyrood finds STV poll
- Chancellor's rejection of currency union 'a monumental error'