George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Ireland goes to the polls in gay marriage vote
- 'Premier division status' of Edinburgh festivals at risk, study warns
- Cancer patients at 'immediate risk' in service shake up, doctors warn
- Rochdale prosecutor compares online radicalisation to grooming
- Lib Dems announce roadshow 'to listen to the people of Scotland'
- Scotland Tonight: Spotlight on The Corries' Ronnie Browne
- Scottish charity Mary's Meals working hard to feed schoolchildren