George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Massive increase in food bank users according to poverty charity
- Hannah Miley heads 40-strong Scottish Aquatics team for Glasgow 2014
- Ban gambling and loan adverts in sport says Church of Scotland
- Warning over defence jobs and contracts if Scotland leaves UK
- UK debt share settlement 'key to post-independence economic outlook'
- Scotland Tonight: Schools debate winners share their experiences
- Scotland Tonight talks to Nicola Sturgeon ahead of SNP conference