George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Murphy: 'Miliband can read about my tax proposals like everyone else'
- C. diff inquiry: Failures led to at least 34 deaths at Vale of Leven
- Newspaper launched 'to fly a vibrant flag for independence'
- Commonwealth gold medal boxer on why he is turning professional
- Alex Salmond resigns as First Minister in statement to Holyrood
- Almost a third of Scottish children have been bullied, says survey
- Gordon Strachan has tough decisions to make for intense England clash