George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scots couple used tablecloths to treat wounded in Tunisia massacre
- Scotland Tonight: Artist and writer John Byrne gets honorary degree
- Two-thirds of ferries axed as CalMac workers strike over tendering
- SNP condemns Westminster proposals for EU membership referendum
- First Minister denies devolution plan could cut Scottish cash to Queen
- Scotland Tonight: Should controversial flags ever be banned?
- Scottish Government reveals ‘radical’ plans to open up land ownership