George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Ed Miliband: Focus on Labour election majority not SNP deal
- Old Firm police monitor online posts as they warn fans ahead of match
- Scotland Tonight: Scots writer Mark Millar on his new film Kingsman
- Temporary fracking ban as government announces further research
- Pregnant smokers more likely to quit if offered shopping vouchers
- Osborne urges Greece's anti-austerity leaders to act 'responsibly'
- Female 'super-prison' plans are scrapped by justice secretary