George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Liberal Democrats choose former party president Tim Farron as leader
- BBC reforms could see mandatory licence fee replaced by subscription
- USA's legendary voice of golf Bob Bubka previews the 2015 Open
- English votes for English laws: MPs to have equal say on spending
- Strike ballot reforms 'an unnecessary attack on workers' rights'
- Scotland Tonight: Robert Carlyle discusses his directorial debut
- SNP to vote against Tories on fox hunting ban in England and Wales