George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- No vote on Thursday 'could mean another referendum in a few years'
- Scotland Tonight: Nicola Sturgeon and Johann Lamont head-to-head
- Alistair Darling quizzed on pledge of more powers after a No vote
- Alex Salmond grilled on cost of corporation tax cuts after Yes vote
- Ed Miliband urges Labour voters to 'show solidarity' and vote No
- Forth Road Bridge celebrates 50th anniversary with festival of events
- Church of Scotland: 'Respectful dialogue' needed in referendum