George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Finland to back Scottish Government's minimum alcohol pricing plan
- Chief medical officer: Scotland 'well prepared' for Ebola outbreak
- Scotland Tonight: Spotlight on celebrated actor Ray Winstone
- Brown says plan to devolve tax would be 'lethal to constitution'
- Scottish Green Party optimistic ahead of biggest ever conference
- Scotland Tonight: Documentary charts Spanish immigration to capital
- Stirling university hosts the first Women in Sport conference