George Osborne insists that Britain is on the right track and the economy is healing, but he is offering a longer road to recovery with more cuts.
Amongst the mix of measures was a boost for capital spending, and a squeeze on welfare payments.
Scotland Tonight discussed the developments with Conservative MP David Mundell and the Labour MP and Shadow Scottish Secretary Margaret Curran.
political commentator and former Liberal Democrat special adviser Christine Jardine. And joining us from Edinburgh is the economics commentator and former SNP parliamentary candidate George Kerevan.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Should the Games be a politics-free zone?
- Campaign to engage 'missing million' in independence referendum
- Scotland Tonight: Jim Sillars on his vision for independent Scotland
- Let the Games begin: World watches Glasgow's 2014 Commonwealth show
- Nick Clegg speaks out against homophobia in Commonwealth countries
- Spotlight on Team Scotland's Commonwealth Games medal hopefuls
- Games 2014 security 'will not compromise policing across country'