An auction of a Jack Vettriano painting has helped the STV Appeal 2012 surpass the £2m milestone.
The painting, Night-Time Rituals II, was auctioned at the Great Scot Awards in London on Tuesday night for £35,000. Scottish businessman and Appeal trustee Sir Tom Hunter purchased the work by one of the UK’s most popular living artists.
The STV Appeal 2012 raises money for children and young people affected by poverty in Scotland. In 2011 and 2012, the Scottish Government committed to match fund up to one million pounds of the total amount raised by the Appeal.
Mr Vettriano, said: "I was shocked to hear the statistic that 220,000 children in Scotland are living in poverty and I am pleased to be able to make a contribution to the STV Appeal by donating this painting.
"Night-Time Rituals explores a theme to which I like to return from time to time – it’s about creating an atmosphere of anticipation and indulging in those rare moments where all your senses collide."
Rob Woodward, STV chief executive officer and trustee of the Appeal, said: "The fact an artist as renowned as Jack Vettriano chose the STV Appeal to donate the proceeds of his acclaimed work is fantastic, and enabling us to reach the landmark figure of two million pounds is an amazing achievement.
"With every penny raised staying in Scotland, the STV Appeal can help even more vulnerable young people through the inspirational projects it is supporting across Scotland."
More About STV Appeal
- First Minister Alex Salmond answers phones for STV Appeal 2013
- Scotland Tonight: What do you think of Scotland's child poverty figures?
- STV Appeal 2013: Broke not Broken on STV
- Provost Jill Webster aims high and low to raise cash for STV Appeal
- STV Appeal 2013 Big Live show proves a big success
- John Michie puts on dancing shoes for STV Appeal Dance Marathon
- Families encouraged to get on their bikes for freshnlo Pedal for Scotland
- In pictures: The STV Appeal Lanarkshire fundraising heroes
- The STV Appeal’s launch show touched hearts all over Scotland
- The STV Appeal