Voters in Spain's Catalonia have given a majority to parties backing independence in regional parliamentary elections.
But their vote has been split between the current centre-right president and his CIU party and the left wing ERC party.
Each want independence but differ on other key areas including jobs and the economy.
Will the polarisation put paid to a referendum in the next four years?
Scotland Tonight looked at the issues, and discussed them with Laura Pous, a journalist from the Catalan News Agency and with Professor Jose Rodriguez Mora from Edinburgh.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Photobomb named word of year as dictionary adds 50,000 words
- Scotland Tonight: Author and activist Owen Jones on his new book
- Scotland Tonight: Will Creative Scotland's film strategy pan out?
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Holyrood needs more infrastructure powers, devo commission to hear
- Former FM McConnell calls for Scottish Labour to rediscover values
- Finland to back Scottish Government's minimum alcohol pricing plan