Voters in Spain's Catalonia have given a majority to parties backing independence in regional parliamentary elections.
But their vote has been split between the current centre-right president and his CIU party and the left wing ERC party.
Each want independence but differ on other key areas including jobs and the economy.
Will the polarisation put paid to a referendum in the next four years?
Scotland Tonight looked at the issues, and discussed them with Laura Pous, a journalist from the Catalan News Agency and with Professor Jose Rodriguez Mora from Edinburgh.
More About Scotland Tonight
- Scotland Tonight: Judy Murray discusses grassroots tennis project
- Gordon Brown calls for North Sea reserve fund to aid oil industry
- Scotland Tonight: Outlander joins Amazon Prime as TV habits change
- Scotland Tonight: Nicola Sturgeon on her 100 days as First Minister
- Scotland Tonight: BRIT awards celebrates its 35th year
- Scotland Tonight: Sunday Herald gets print circulation boost
- Scotland Tonight: MPs defeat Labour call for paid directorships ban