Voters in Spain's Catalonia have given a majority to parties backing independence in regional parliamentary elections.
But their vote has been split between the current centre-right president and his CIU party and the left wing ERC party.
Each want independence but differ on other key areas including jobs and the economy.
Will the polarisation put paid to a referendum in the next four years?
Scotland Tonight looked at the issues, and discussed them with Laura Pous, a journalist from the Catalan News Agency and with Professor Jose Rodriguez Mora from Edinburgh.
More About Scotland Tonight
- North Sea oil revenues plummet as public spending deficit grows
- Hampden Park's renovation into Commonwealth Games venue unveiled
- Watch a live stream of Scotland Tonight: Scotland's current affairs show
- Death of union leader Bob Crow met with shock from friends and foes
- Iran hired Palestinian group to bomb Lockerbie plane, report claims
- Scotland Tonight: Is enough being done to tackle child poverty?
- Scotland Tonight: Gordon Brown unveils plan for further devolution